Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealant for MB A/C Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Question Sealant for MB A/C Systems

Hello friends and techs,

A local, and seasoned MB mechanic, who I spoke to about my A/C system leak told me about something that can be added to the refrigerant that will seal leaks. He also said it was available at Advanced Auto Parts.

The only thing I know at this point is that a guy with an E420 had a leaky evaporator and this seems to have fixed it.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

It reminds me of some stuff you can buy to plug radiator leaks - a liquid containing little BB sized particles to plug the holes! I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole, and probably not this "AC sealer" either, but I though this was worthy of some debate.

Thanks in advance,
Musikmann
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I had a Lincoln dealer use the sealer on the evap and it lasted long enough to get out of warranty, then I had to pay the $$ to have it replaced. Not saying that it won't work for you,, just my experience. I changed the evap myself. Jim
Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Wink To: vettdvr aka Jim

Originally Posted by vettdvr
I had a Lincoln dealer use the sealer on the evap and it lasted long enough to get out of warranty, then I had to pay the $$ to have it replaced. Not saying that it won't work for you,, just my experience. I changed the evap myself. Jim
Hi again Jim,
Thanks for your feedback. I traded the 98 E430 today for a 99 E430 with a LOT fewer miles. The only thing now is, that the A/C wasn't working as well (during the test drive) as my old one with the 2-week old recharge. They are switching my new tires, some rims, and radio, so at the moment I am in a loaner. I'm supposed to get the "new" one in a day, or two.

They are supposed to check it out (A/C), and let me know. As I told the salesman, if this was my REALLY unlucky day, I traded a compressor leak for an evaporator one, we'll see what happens.

The good thing is that they sold the car new, know the woman owner (traded for a new CLK for what that's worth), and have a complete service history on the car.
Musikmann