Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Transmission shudder

I have an '02 S430 that just started to have a shudder going up slight inclines at higher speeds (80 mph on highway). The vibration is moderate and feels as though a tire balance problem was present (that is not it ... tires are balanced and ride is good at all other speeds etc)

The car has 61k.

Is this a major issue or something a minor service can take care of?

Thanks

Last edited by Allzwell; 07-28-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 PM

A marginal plug or wire could cause an engine miss firer under a load, which will feel like a vibration. Drive shift vibration, differential axle vibration. The toque converter will only chatter/ vibrate going on or come off, a toque converter will never chatter when its lock up, fully applied.

Find a good independent or go to your local dealer, vibrations are hard to diagnose. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 PM

S430
Thanks for the reply.

It is not an engine miss, the entire car shakes from about 80 -85 ... after that it smooths out again.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 AM

S430
Sorry for the persistence.

Is this all the tech response that is normal on this forum??
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Sorry, i guess we should all be racing to diagnose this without taking time for our own lives..sorry, couldn;t resist

You have a few interesting issues here- going up inclines suggests engine issue, or something related to load- it is possible the torque convertor is un locking, due to the higher load, but i doubt it at that speed. Not sure how you are telling its not an engine miss- unless you are feeling it in your seat and not the steering wheel/front area only.
I've always been of the inclination that if you can drive through the vibration (and it goes away), that its a tire, but uphill wouldn't impact that.
Without looking at data stream of what the trans/engine is doing, and driving it, its kind of a crap shoot.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM

S430
Originally Posted by MBTech21
Sorry, i guess we should all be racing to diagnose this without taking time for our own lives..sorry, couldn;t resist

Spoken like a true buckeye (Sorry - couldn't resist either )
You have a few interesting issues here- going up inclines suggests engine issue, or something related to load- it is possible the torque convertor is un locking, due to the higher load, but i doubt it at that speed. Not sure how you are telling its not an engine miss- unless you are feeling it in your seat and not the steering wheel/front area only.
I've always been of the inclination that if you can drive through the vibration (and it goes away), that its a tire, but uphill wouldn't impact that.
Without looking at data stream of what the trans/engine is doing, and driving it, its kind of a crap shoot.

Sounds logical - thanks for the response.

In the future I'll try not to ask questions unless I know the answer.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
No, you don't have to know the answer, it's just that sometimes, like with your car, if you suggest something- you are shooting in the dark, and then the guy/girl lays out way more money guessing than it would have cost to have it diagnosed right.
Even in the shop, I'll have another tech come and ask me to drive a car, and they describe it one way, when i drive it , it's obvious it is something else completely, so sometimes the internet is a bad thing!!
If you could get scan data while it's happening, or a preliminary diagnosis from someone, most of the techs on here are glad to help, but there are limitations.

PS..actually, i'm canadian, but go bucks anyway!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 PM

S430
Thanks, I appreciate the help!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:56 PM

99 c43
vibration

replace the transmission mount , if torn, easy replacement
hope that helps