Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifetime transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by biker349
my dealer uses a transmission conditioner when they change the fluid. anyone know anything about this? will it prevent the ocassional transmission problems after refill?
I am not familiar with a "transmission conditioner" but if it is a fluid it sounds like snake oil to me. I wouldn't take the chance that it could bugger up seals or have any remnants react adversely with the new fluid fill.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C280
Transmission conditioner????

Is this an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer you're talking about? Is this genuine MB trans conditioner that says so right on the can? Sounds like snake oil to me.
As an aside, last week I stopped at my MB dealer (to pickup a part) and told the service guy how much smoother the 5spd shifted after my independent guy changed the fluid at 100k (using genuine MB fluid). The service advisor says MB still maintains the lifetime interval is best. He said the clutch pack debris should remain suspended in the fluid for life...the transmission needs it. Couldn't believe he said that
Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Read post #46; older tranny's do better with the extra viscosity of well-used fluid.

Most conditioners have additional additives that reduce the acidity of used trans. fluid.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Ludwig
A trans flush at 60K or 80K is one thing much after 100K is another. Going too long on a "life time fill" can spell trouble when you finally do get it flushed. Our instructors at the Benz training Center in Rancho Cucamonga just kinda smiled and shook their heads as any mechanic would at the notion of the "life time fill."
Thing is, if "mechanics" were petroleum engineers or chemists or mechanical engineers in the transmission design field, they would have better jobs.

But, reducing the number of oil changes is money out of their pockets, which could possibly/conceivably affect their recommendations.

It's frankly mostly a "political" thing, as even Mercedes motor oil change intervals are shorter in the USA than, say, in Europe. Problem is, the USA is just filled to the brim with oil change experts and it's of course a right of passage to manhood here to be able to do or at least talk about oil changing. We even have TV commercials with babies in diapers lying under a car learning oil changing from their Dad. I'm sure, however, this house of cards would crumble if the next commercial shows a mom instructing a daughter.

So, don't rock the boat. Go with the flow. Pay a mechanic to change your oil.

Last edited by lkchris; 11-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
the conditioner added to the oil is from a mercedes dealer. they advertise the conditioner in their ad. anyone know anything about the conditioner and it's affect?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's what's known as a "profit center."

Otherwise it's snake oil and not a Mercedes product and NEVER recommended by Mercedes.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Sprinter
Gear Box oil changes

I was present in Germany when it was decided that the gear oil should be changed. i still have a copy of the training course notes that i acquired on my travels around the factory I will scan them tomorrow and post them. this will clear up all questions. Oh and the best way of checking for gearbox wear is having the shift times recorded using the MB Star Diagnosis machine. you can then calculate the wear in all the clutches in the box, its very easy and you don't even get any oil on your hands...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Sprinter
Found Them..
Attached Thumbnails Lifetime transmission fluid-oil-change.jpg   Lifetime transmission fluid-gearboxwear1.jpg   Lifetime transmission fluid-gearboxwear2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM

1988 190E 2.3-16
Thanks for the good info

I've been out of the dealer traning loop for a few years now and appreciate the update
Thanks