Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SL500 Manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None, shopping for 129 manual 5 speed
I know this is an old thread, but come on. Anything can be done.

I personally, would not own an automatic in anything close to a sports car--which is what MB cars are mostly--almost a sports car.

One thing is universal. On any automotive forum you will find know-it-alls, saying can't be done, complaining about anything and everything. Go get a life. There is another whole group of people out there, who "can do anything", and "don't want to hear" your whining.

As for the guy wanting to swap in a manual. My advice is a Corvette engine and transmission. As for me, if I can't find a 129 with a manual, I'll go back to shopping for another Corvette.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL320
Actually it has already been done so it’s not a pipe dream as you say...

Originally Posted by sosh
You posted your idea, however dumb it is on a public forum and you got my response. Try if if you wish but your going to end up with a piece of junk and lots of cash out the door. FYI, I have most likely worked on more cars than you have even owned. I surmise you are maybe 18 yrs old and I guess this may be a lesson for you. But then again you have nothing to lose, its not your car.
check out this video on YouTube this guy managed to change his car into a manual transmission....
The following users liked this post:
Wes McCullough (01-23-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CharlesStyncOB
m119 to manual bellhousing kit!

Hi folks and manual dreamers!

...man let the kid dream! ...and maybe if he has enough drive will get it done eventually!

yeah call the "MBZ Tuners" hahaha, they will ask for a first born as a deposit! ha ha ha

It is absolutely do-able!!!

Let me say that again IT IS DOOABLE!

I did a old jaguar engine to an American 4 speed transmission for my first conversion! The engine was a straight 6 4.2l and if i remember correctly I think it was a m21! it was a long time ago, and I was only 16!

Although I would probably go with a German transmission, say a Getrag 2xx etc...
The actual MBZ transmission bellhousing will need to be sawed off and either welded or you will haver to make an adaptor! you will need some machining equipment, a block of square aluminum, and a fixed drilling platform for the mounting holes! a bunch of long bolts, (...and yeah lot of brain farts!!! j/k)
Clutch will have to come from same era car, say a e2x, the tach signal will have to come from either a original 7xx MBZ tranny magnet welded to the flywheel, or a tail end adaptor with a sensor.
the transmission tunnel will most likely need to be hammered a bit, nothing drastic, but again a few millimeters here and there
As for the linkages you will have to go with aftermarket or factory ones from MBZ.

Cost: I will have to estimate in the 4ks for someone like me! (...we are talking brand new parts, other than the transmission of course, since you may have to change some worn out parts in there also!) , a few grand more if you gonna have someone else do it, just make sure they have the skills! ...and they are honest!

That being said I am in southern California and enjoy challenges, so I m open to PMs about questions regarding this type of stuff, so feel free to ask, and if I think it is viable I will answer you , although I don't guarantee speedy answers!

Good luck everyone and have a great day!

Last edited by Mprehjan; 02-04-2021 at 06:47 AM. Reason: more thoughts!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:55 AM
SPONSOR

Received 777 Likes on 603 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I have been in contact with this guy years ago
he can build them
all

Old 08-02-2021, 04:55 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
2005 6spd Manual C55 AMG; 2000 ML55 AMG; 1994 E420; 2008 ML63 AMG
It's so funny reading this from the future now, realizing how incredibly easy it is to manual swap the M113....
hope this can live as a lesson people to not put out peoples dreams right off the bat, but rather, do what these forums (I think?) are intended to do... help find solutions.
The following users liked this post:
drewjackowski (11-15-2022)