Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential rebuild? on Crossfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Differential rebuild? on Crossfire

Hi guys, I was hoping you guys can help with a question on my Crossfire since it has the 3.2L V6 and 6-speed by Mercedes.

I recently had to take it in to the dealership for differential noise, in the service manual, it states fix on any differential problem is replacing it, but the dealer said they are going to repair it. They ordered a gear, two bearings, and a lever, does that sound right? The parts came and they have been working on it the past three days, now they say they need the car longer because they don't have the proper tool to push in/out the bearing, is that true for Mercedes components?

Once again, I know this isn't a Benz, but it has the components and I'm hoping the knowledgable MB techs here can help answer these questions, thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I do not believe that the actual components are by Benz, same goes for the engine.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM

Arrow Re:

The components are Benz from what I've read, from the engine down to each sensor. Exact same 3.2L used in any of the 320 MB and is basically a rebodied last gen of the SLK, like the differences in Camaro and Firebird, it's on the outside.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM

The ring and pinion gears are a match set and are changed in pairs, I highly doubt that’s the gear they want to change. The others are pinion gears and they also should be changed in sets. The differential has two pinion bearings and two carrier bearings.

The tool referred to is used to press, push the pinion gear out of the differential housing; I will guess and say the noise was a high pitch whine that increased in frequency the faster you drove. The pinion bearing is the one they want to change and a spider gear. It’s a half *** job and if I were in your position, I would not settle for any thing less than replacing the differential.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Xfire
The components are Benz from what I've read, from the engine down to each sensor. Exact same 3.2L used in any of the 320 MB and is basically a rebodied last gen of the SLK, like the differences in Camaro and Firebird, it's on the outside.
Believe you have been misinformed.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Originally Posted by sosh
Believe you have been misinformed.
Actually not sosh..it is exactly a 170 chassis..right down to the diagnostics..in fact the SDS is way better than the DRB tool to talk to the car ( we have a Chrysler dealership on our campus too)...only visual things inside the car i see that aren't MB is the radio..AC everything..is a 170 SLK

Now , as far as diff rebuild..,walk into most any dealership/indy/anywhere/anytime,,you might find a guy that can actually rebuild one, or wants too, with the time involved to do it right. The last time I did one, for a bad pinion bearing(s)..I had a crowd watching me in the shop..have to have a press, a bearing splitter, a nm/mm torque wrench,a clue...then all is good
Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Arrow Re:

Thanks for the helpful replies C32AMG/02 and MBTech21. I thought they would just replace it, but it seems they are rebuilding it. I got the order receipt, they ordered 3 bearings, 2 gears, and a sealer(I believe those are the amounts). They are indeed replacing the "ring and pinion gears" and the other stuff after talking to them yesterday, they are just missing the tool. This is the first time the dealership has ever worked on this, hope they do it alright, if not, it is still under warrenty.

As for any "misinformation", the Crossfire has all MB components, even the interior besides the CD player and other small stuff. Thus I was hoping knowledgable Mercedes guys would help and I was in luck, thanks guys.

*edit* also, as for the original problem, it was a whine noise that was only heard 70-80mph with any light pedal load. A couple other Crossfire owners had the exact same problem at the same speed, few have had the differential replaced by the dealer and that fixed it, I was surprised to find my dealer wanted to rebuild it, others have driven thousands of miles with the diff noise and has no problem, but I wanted to take care of this while on warrenty still.

Last edited by Xfire; 12-29-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Post Re:

Got a update from the dealer, after 4 days they say they need to order the tool, they sealed the diff back up and said I can pick it up and to drop it off when they get the tool in.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Be interesting to see if DC will reimburse dealer for rebuilding instead of replacing. Perhaps dealer thinks he can make a killing by giving you the cheaper fix and charging DC for the more expensive fix.

Could be the dealer doesn't have the proper special tools because they're not on DC's "required" tools list (which I assume exists).

If you're sure the "normal" procedure is replacement, call the DC area service rep to discuss.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 PM

Arrow Re:

Hey guys,

After the dealership couldn't get the proper tools after trying to rebuild it, they decided to order and replace the differential instead.

Well it's been 4 weeks now and they said they got it in, two days later I get it back and it's still making the differential whine.

I'm wondering if they even replaced the differential, and I say that because I went to take a look at the differential and all the bolts that connect the two half housing look like they have been unscrewed and screwed (IE for that rebuild they wanted to do), and I was looking at the service manual and for installation it doesn't say anything opening the differential. There's just two self locking bolts and shims.

But I'm not a technician and especially clueless with MB components, anyone know if installing the differential they would have had to open it for any reason? Adjust something? Also anyway to tell if the diff is new (I know, possibly dumb question), as I didn't bother to take a look at the original.

C32AMG/02? MBTech21? You two have been very helpful thus far.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:51 PM

A new/ factory rebuilt replacement differential; will stand out in a crowd, new and clean. Does the rear cover look cleaner then the front carrier housing, if so they just repaired the differential. What does the invoice say. Is the whine exactly the same as before.