Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600
Flashing ECU

I have a question regarding what "Flashing" the ECU means. Does it mean to just clear the stored/error codes in the computer, or does it do something else? I'm not talking about any kind of aftermarket tune, just a stock ECU Flash.

An indi repair shop suggested I flash the ECU because the throttle actuator sensor seems to a little out of wack (on hard acceleration, when you let off, it keeps going for about a half second). Also, the transmission doesnt seem to engage properly. They said since everything is electronic on these cars
(2003 CL600), the transmission itself isnt the problem, just a reflash was needed.

Anyone have any input on this? If the "Flash" is just clearing the codes, can I buy a code reader and do it myself?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 PM

08 CLK350
a flash is a new newer software update
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by mikracer
I have a question regarding what "Flashing" the ECU means. Does it mean to just clear the stored/error codes in the computer, or does it do something else? I'm not talking about any kind of aftermarket tune, just a stock ECU Flash.

An indi repair shop suggested I flash the ECU because the throttle actuator sensor seems to a little out of wack (on hard acceleration, when you let off, it keeps going for about a half second). Also, the transmission doesnt seem to engage properly. They said since everything is electronic on these cars
(2003 CL600), the transmission itself isnt the problem, just a reflash was needed.

Anyone have any input on this? If the "Flash" is just clearing the codes, can I buy a code reader and do it myself?
Sounds like the shop is not qualified to work on these cars. Reflashing for the sake of reflashing is a Hail Mary. Dealers reflash when a known software bug has been fixed, not because something random stopped working right. The throttle sender is a common failure. The dealer can see if it is out of spec and easily replace it if it is. The transmission problem can be lots of things. A leak into the transmission control unit (the TCU is totally separate from the ECU) can cause problems.

These cars are too complicated for shops that don't work on them exclusively. Do yourself a favor and take it to the dealer.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
I agree with above ...

Looks like the car is still under warranty. The dealer should be able to diagnose the problem and take care of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM

C63 AMG (stock right now), Beach Cruiser (debadged), Piper Cherokee 280 (too much to mention)
I bought a Carchip E/X by Davis Instruments

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp

It enables you to clear check engine lights and find out your DTCs. As well as a few other cool features.

enjoy!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=Cops_h8_me!;1960089]I bought a Carchip E/X by Davis Instruments

At $179 what can it do above what a $40 OBDII scanner does? Not busting your chops, just curious.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Cops_h8_me!
I bought a Carchip E/X by Davis Instruments

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp

It enables you to clear check engine lights and find out your DTCs. As well as a few other cool features.

enjoy!
Does it work? on the Mercedes E500. :?

Is the Mercedes E500 03 model OB II compliant? Thanks Jim
Old 01-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Does it work? on the Mercedes E500. :?

Is the Mercedes E500 03 model OB II compliant? Thanks Jim
Jim,

All cars sold in the US starting in 1996 had to be OBDII compliant. There are many protocols that cars use, and in 2008, all cars will have to use the CAN protocol.

If you buy an OBDII reader/scanner, you may want to get one that's CAN compatible as MB has some CAN buses in them.

If you are really thinking about buying something to read DTC codes, I recommend you get one that runs on a laptop or palm so you can have graphs of various sensors (i.e., O2 sensor's voltage swings), in addition to seeing a lot of data all at once -- the small handhelds make you push buttons many times to scroll through all the codes (stored DTC's, pending DTC's and freeze frame data).

I've checked out 2 models, one from AutoTap and another from Auterra (called Dyno-Scan) and they're between $200-250. I tend to like the DynoScan layout, but if you like dials/gauges, then the AutoTap is good. They both have CAN compatible models. I haven't bought anything yet.

These scanners will read all the generic P0xxx (standardized) and most of the P1xxx (manuf codes).

http://www.autotap.com

http://www.auterraweb.com

Regards,
paul...
Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Also,......

Jim,

I forgot to mention that these scanners can record/playback, so you can hook one up and drive your car around and then see how the sensors operated after playing it back (don't drive and watch the computer!!)

The "P" codes are for the Powertrain and are all related to emissions.

The Auterra unit also has a dynometer as part of the unit, that's why it's called "DynoScan".

Regards,
paul...