Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is dead!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Angry My car is dead!

324 miles and away it went on a flatbed - I am not a happy camper.

A couple of weeks ago I had an issue with the ignition not unlocking (electronically or mechanically) that seemed to clear itself after removing and re-inserting the key multiple times. Well, today the malfunction re-occurred and did not clear after fooling with it for almost an hour and a half. I called my son and asked him to pick up the other key at the house and bring it to me - it didn't work either. Tele Aid summoned a flatbed as the car had to be taken to the dealer. Of course it was too late for any diagnostics, so I have to wait until Monday to find out how long my car will be out of service. As it turned out, the car stranded me at a shopping mall and there were many gawkers as the car was loaded up - can you say embarrassed??? I am beginning to wonder if I should have bought this car in the first place.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You're going to get either a new set of keys or a new Electronic Ignition Switch.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
QA QC rant

I have to say that Mercedes' "Smartkey" system is looking pretty dumb right now. With the "Crackerjack toy" quality control these parts seem to have, they should do a total recall and try to get some PR points.

I too would be LIVID if my new, VERY expensive car broke down in this way. I'd never trust it again. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What's next - square wheels?
Old 12-29-2001, 10:07 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Mike T wrote:

I too would be LIVID if my new, VERY expensive car broke down in this way. I'd never trust it again.
That is exactly how I feel, henceforth the statement about wondering if I should have bought the car in the first place. It is one thing to have annoying little things break, but to have the car strand you and have to be hauled away is another. It's like a woman who cheats - how can you ever trust her again?

I am a very picky "car nut" kind of person and to have the car towed away summons up images of scratches, dings and damage. I am having a hard time trying not to get sick over this. The car better be as perfect when I get it back as it was originally or else there will be a major fight with the dealer and/or Mercedes. I will not be "Mr. Nice Guy" after spending the amount of money that I did for this car.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Yikes! What a terrible experience. I hope you get the car back in ship-shape order and hopefully it'll have years of good driving to help lessen the memory.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:17 PM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Prior experience with new car

It's kind of apples and oranges, but the mental anguish is the same. The terrible experiences in having a new car.

A year and a half ago, I bought a brand new Grand Voyager, and on my drive home, the minivan started rattling and lost power. I parked it in my garage, parked it for an hour with the intention to drive it around the block again. When I pulled out, it had leaks all over the garage floor. And to top it off, the Check Engine light was on.

In a brand new car! It was really an unsettling experience. But sometimes bad things happen with new cars. It's not a Benz, but it's been running ok since, and I'm ok with the car now.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:06 PM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
I guess I am spoiled. After having my fair share of issues with first GM, then Ford, I switched to Nissan, and they were/are great. I have owned several Maxima's and my wife has a 2001 Pathfinder. Nissans just don't break! My son has had several Nissans too and has the same feeling - totally reliable with no rattles - built well.

I came to the realization that it was time to move up and Nissan just does not offer what I was looking for. I considered BMW, but after monitoring the forums, there were just too many issues.

Mercedes long reputation has apparently given way to flaw. Don't get me wrong, I think the quality of build and materials used is excellent, and the looks are without compare - but geez, to have the car towed away so early on in its life disenchants me to say the least. Good thing I was close to home, do I dare take the car on long trips when I get it back?????
Old 12-30-2001, 11:09 AM

2001 CLK 320
New car problems

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your experience. Clearly, this is no way to start a relationship with your vehicle or Mercedes-Benz. By coincidence, I was at my dealer's service department on Friday and someone called in with the exact same problem. They were told to try their other smart key, and if that failed to have the car towed to the closest dealer. Like you, I am an enthusiast, and I too was apprehensive the first time my old car was towed. Rest assured it was scrutinized and everything was fine. I understand your fears. My advice is to have faith that everything will be put right, and from that point on I hope you have nothing but pleasant journeys. Yes, I believe you will be able to trust it once again. Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:28 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Andy, thanks for your sympathy and encouragement. I hope MB is on top of this issue and can get it rectified. Happy New Year to you too.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:11 PM

ML
You'll be fine

Yes it is embarrasing but the car will be fixed correctly and you'll be fine. These cars should not give so much problems so early in theor life. Like you, I have Nissans and currently have a Z and a Pathfinder - not a worthwhil problem to report. But in jusy 8000 miles of owning my E430, I've had A/C vacuum problems, auxiliary fan problems and next week it has to go bac in for a fuel sending unit replacement. I am hoping that if I drive it hard enough, I'll be able to get rid of all the problems before the warranty expires. Then, I'll have problem free motoring!!! Nothing like the Z, and have a great new year.
Old 12-31-2001, 11:10 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Just an update. My dealer called me this morning and said they diagnosed a faulty EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch). Of course they didn't have one and need to get it from the parts distribution center which happens to be closed today and tomorrow. They will have the part Fedex'd overnight Wednesday for a Thursday repair, then return the car to my home. I hope the part is in stock at the distribution center, and I hope the replacement part addresses the apparent quality issue with these switches. I miss my car

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2001, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!

Agree with rp430 about the Nissan not breaking. I'm using a 96 nissan maxima as a daily driver and haven't had a single problem with it. Great car!!
Old 12-31-2001, 11:51 AM
Almost a Member!

clk430conv
Lightbulb Great call by mbtech208

Another great call by mbtech208. You are a real asset to this board
Old 01-01-2002, 11:55 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
I had the same problem with my 01' Clk 430 about 3 months ago. Luckly for me it happen in my garage !!!! All i did were hit the SOS button and an hrs later, mbtech show up. He found out that the problem were a loose third wire( the POS and NEG were not loose) that connected to the battery.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:17 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
linh,
Was that loose third wire at the switch under the dash, or in that mass of wires just forward of the battery?
Old 01-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
One of my friends picked up his new, '98 Corvette, and, yep, it broke down on the ride home from the dealer. Engine seized solid. (No monkey business driving, or so he said.) Flatbed ride back to dealer. Replacement Corvette.

Information is a great thing. I read this forum of course, but also several others, and I'm reluctantly concluding that "catastrophic strandings" occur with just about any make and model automobile, regardless of quality reputation.

These high-tech keys (and the ignitions that use them) do seem to be the cause of the most major complaints about MBs. I'm sorry to hear about your problem, rp430, and I hope it never happens to you again, or to me. But if it does, I think I'll have to temper my hurt with a certain amount of stoicism.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:57 PM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
MB-BOB, I had a Chevy Citation V-6 (1980) which threw the main bearings on the way home from the dealer - things never change with GM.

Second update: Called the dealer today to make sure they were able to get the EIS and was told that MB said to also replace the mechanical part of the switch. Both were in stock at the distribution center and will be installed tomorrow AM. We'll see!!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:22 PM

2001 CLK 320
Repair

Sounds like your dealer is being thorough. Always a good sign. I never mind when they say they needed to do a little more than they originally thought. No doubt you will be very glad to have your car back after the long wait. Good luck, and may all your journeys be free of incident.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:28 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Final Update:

I picked my car up yesterday morning and all seems fine. The electronic switch sound seems a little different, perhaps a little louder than the original, however that is fine with me as long as it continues to work. Before going in, I found my car out back and carefully went over every inch of it looking for any signs of damage such as scratches, dings, etc., there were none. I am pleased with my first experience with this dealer.

Man it feels great to be driving my car again, the last week sure seemed like a long one!
Old 01-05-2002, 02:59 PM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
My car has just suffered the same problem as rp430. However, I drive a 2001 C320. The problem was happening intermittently yesterday, but I didn't think anything of it. I would jiggle the key a little bit and it would start. This morning was a different story though. I tried both SmartKeys and nothing. My car refused to lock or unlock. As my alarm was going off for the first two minutes, MBUSA asked me if the car was in my posession since the TeleAid system had called them. I told them what was going on and they transferred me to roadside assistance. They came in about 30 minutes later. After checking out the car, the preliminary diagnosis is the same as rp430. I'm stuck without even a loaner car since the service centers around me aren't open on Saturdays. Oh well... Hopefully things will work themselves out quickly. Warranty trip #9 in 13 months of driving.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:08 PM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Sorry to hear of your problem. Make sure they replace both the electronic and mechanical items, 210-545-03-08, 208-462-04-30. I don't know if the numbers correlate to the 2001 CLK320, but I hope this helps somewhat. Your statement about jiggling the key seems to indicate more of mechanical part failure than electronic - but who knows?
Old 01-07-2002, 08:05 PM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
I went by Keyes European this morning to check the status of my car and pick up a loaner car. My service advisor called me later in the day to tell me that they want to replace my keys and the ignition module. Earliest I'll have my car back is 3 days.