Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Connection Failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 04:44 PM

OBDII Connection Failed

Car: 2006 CLK350
Mileage: 6k

I'm trying to get New Jersey inspection done but the car fails to connect with the OBDII. The inspection system says ODBII connection failed. I took it to the dealership and they printed out some papers saying everything is fine. But according to NJ law, all cars must respond to a "generic" ODBII request. They told me the dealer did a "manufacture" ODBII request. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2007 | 07:29 PM

BTW, I already went to 3 other places and had a code reader hooked up. But it won't connect at all, the ODBII system won't respond.
Old 04-19-2007 | 10:41 AM

Simple. Take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix your car.

The dealership is giving you the automotive equivalent of

Patient: "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it like this."

Doctor: "Then don't move it like that. Next!"
Old 04-19-2007 | 12:01 PM

It's at the dealer right now. They better not call me and tell me nothing is wrong, when it can't connect to a ODBII scanner. I just wanted to know if it was a common problem or an easy fix that I could've done.
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
What is OBD?

The On Board Diagnostics system is composed of a computer that monitors the emissions system and key engine components. It can usually detect a malfunction or deterioration in these components before the driver becomes aware of the problem. The U.S. EPA has required auto makers to install OBD systems on all cars and light-duty trucks made since 1996.

OBD systems are designed to alert the driver when a component in the engine management or emissions systems begins to deteriorate or malfunction. Early detection of minor problems, followed by timely repair, can often prevent more costly damage to components such as the catalytic converter.

Are OBD related repairs covered by my warranty?

Federal law requires that the emissions control systems on 1996 and newer vehicles be warranted for two years or 24,000 miles (which ever comes first). Many auto manufacturers provide extended coverage as well. Federal law also requires that the on-board computer and the catalytic converter on 1996 and newer vehicles be covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Consult your vehicle owners manual or warranty for coverage.

This means that it must work and if not under warranty you might have to pay the dealer to repair the OBD II system to meet the law.

Just $.02 worth of info. Jim
Old 04-23-2007 | 11:17 AM

Well the car is under warranty so I shouldn't be paying for this work.

So I talked to the dealer. The guy said that they found some old software and have updated it. But when they connected their OBD2 scanner, it wouldn't connect. They think the problem is within the software. So they called their independant engineer so he can help them with the problem. I have been without the car for a week now. I hope they fix this.
Old 04-23-2007 | 12:27 PM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by mta2
BTW, I already went to 3 other places and had a code reader hooked up. But it won't connect at all, the ODBII system won't respond.
Those three other places you went to, did they have scanners that worked with the CAN protocol? MB (and others) have been setting up their systems to be CAN compliant which will be the mandate for 2008 -- all the other US protocols will be abandoned.

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:07 PM

The places I've been to are all state certified. I mean if that was the case then other cars would have the same problem. I picked up the car yesterday, went today to get it inspected and it failed to connect again. I'm going to talk to the dealership supervisor tomorrow. What is a good scanner I can buy that will work with a 06 CLK350.
Old 04-25-2007 | 08:12 AM

Actually I don't think they can communicate with CAN protocol. How would I know if my car had that?
Old 04-25-2007 | 03:07 PM

The places I've been to are all state certified. I mean if that was the case then other cars would have the same problem. I picked up the car yesterday, went today to get it inspected and it failed to connect again. I'm going to talk to the dealership supervisor tomorrow. What is a good scanner I can buy that will work with a 06 CLK350.
AutoXray handhelds (the newer ones) are CAN compliant. If you're looking for something that runs on a Palm or laptop, Auterra makes a good system which is also CAN.

You can also go to an Autozone store and have them plug in their scanner to see if it will connect.

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-25-2007 | 03:20 PM

Actually I don't think they can communicate with CAN protocol. How would I know if my car had that?
As a minimum, you should have installed pins in the connector at #6 & #14. Check out this link: http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

Sorry, but I don't know of any tools that can determine which protocol a car is using. Most of the newer OBD2 scanners (for 1996+ cars) can read multiple US protocols including CAN.

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-25-2007 | 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Well the car is under warranty so I shouldn't be paying for this work.

So I talked to the dealer. The guy said that they found some old software and have updated it. But when they connected their OBD2 scanner, it wouldn't connect. They think the problem is within the software. So they called their independant engineer so he can help them with the problem. I have been without the car for a week now. I hope they fix this.
Sounds like hardware, not software. I bet it's a cable or a connector.
Old 04-26-2007 | 07:35 AM

It's funny the dealer can connect into it fine. They even gave me the prinout. But besides them, no one can connect. We tried with the Snap-on OBDII & CAN scanner with the latest updates. I took it to German car shop and he tried it too with no luck. It's going back to the dealer on Monday, this is going to be the second time.
Old 08-24-2010 | 08:15 AM

2001 ML320
any update ... I have this same issue with my 2001