Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-500 Brakes, replacement Anything Special

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 05:33 PM

E-500 Brakes, replacement Anything Special

Brother in law just bought a 2003 E-500 that needs brakes, needs front pads and rotors. I see the car has SBC brakes along with all sorts of warnings.

Do I need to do anything special, to replace the front rotors and pads or is it standard process.

Thanks Otto59
Old 05-02-2007 | 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Otto59
Brother in law just bought a 2003 E-500 that needs brakes, needs front pads and rotors. I see the car has SBC brakes along with all sorts of warnings.

Do I need to do anything special, to replace the front rotors and pads or is it standard process.

Thanks Otto59
Good question I just got the + on the service reminder. The rotors on the front really show wear and they will have to go also. Jim
Old 05-02-2007 | 09:02 AM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by Otto59

Thanks Otto59
Otto,

Go into the W211 section and search for brakes. Many people have replaced their brakes on these cars with no problems. I replaced my rear rotors/pads last year and now I have to do the fronts.

Sent you a PM.

Regards,
paul....
Old 05-05-2007 | 03:39 AM
Almost a Member!

If you're going to change your own pads you should disconnect the SBC control unit plug. If you trigger the electrical system in your car when your pads are out the SBC unit will activate and force the brake pistons out of the caliper , and if your fingers are in the way you could probably kiss them goodbye.