Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ML320 Water Pump Bearing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 ML320 Water Pump Bearing Update Please help

Fan is noisy, and I can wobble fan, clutch and pully with my hand. Looks like fan pully mounting bolts are tight, but bearing is shot? I assume this would cause fan pulley to wobble,while mounting bolts are tight. Does this mean new water pump or is bearing separate part? No over heating problems yet. What are the two special tools I have read about need for this job? Thanks for any help. Update: took off fan, took out pulley mounting bolts, should pulley come off now (it doesn't) or does the clutch have to come off somehow prior to the pulley, noticed large nut sort of thing between pully and clutch....please help.

Last edited by Charles G; 05-13-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Just replace the entire water pump. No one rebuilds these any more and thats a good thing. One bit of advice is to use a new pump not reman or its likely that you will be doing the job again soon. If its as you say it is do it now as it could chuck everything in lots of different directions when the bearing lets go and it always happens at the wrong place and an inconvienient time.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by sosh
Just replace the entire water pump. No one rebuilds these any more and thats a good thing. One bit of advice is to use a new pump not reman or its likely that you will be doing the job again soon. If its as you say it is do it now as it could chuck everything in lots of different directions when the bearing lets go and it always happens at the wrong place and an inconvienient time.

Correct, I quit using rebuild pumps years ago due to the poor quality of rebuild. Now I use only new parts. Jim