Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to Get Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-500
Smile Where to Get Oil Change?

I'm a new MB owner (just got a 2003 E-500 with 33,000 miles) and since it's no longer under factory warranty, is it a good idea for me to have the oil changed at the dealership, when I could save money having it done elsewhere?

From what I understand, there are standard mileage rates to where I'm supposed to have the car serviced. But what about oil changes? Does the 3 month/3,000 mile rule apply to my car for oil?

I appreciate everyone's input... and again, forgive the "newbie" question. I'm learning...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Your car is programmed to tell you when to change the oil. It will be between 10,000 and 20,000 miles. The same engine from 2004 has a fixed oil change interval of 13,000 miles. That would be fine for your car. If you want to change it every 10,000, that would be extra conservative. Every 3,000 is a waste of money and resources.

There are very few oils that are acceptable in that car. It also needs a special fleece oil filter. I would never trust a quick-change place to use the right stuff. You've just saved on three out of the four oil changes. Spend some of that by only letting the dealer change the oil. Service your car by the book at the dealer and (if your dealer is competent) it will run longer and may even be cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 AM

year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
Do you have a indie machanic? If so you can go to them for oil/air filter change....I'm sure it would be less than having it done at the dealership; and with your low mileage I don't know if its recommended to do an oil change that frequently, check the owners manual it should say how often, or register with Mercedes website it will say how often to do maintance...I have a 2000 and I do mine every 3months/3500 miles with a indep.machanic but I have close to 81k on mine. Hope this helps...........and welcome!

Originally Posted by fenriz79
I'm a new MB owner (just got a 2003 E-500 with 33,000 miles) and since it's no longer under factory warranty, is it a good idea for me to have the oil changed at the dealership, when I could save money having it done elsewhere?

From what I understand, there are standard mileage rates to where I'm supposed to have the car serviced. But what about oil changes? Does the 3 month/3,000 mile rule apply to my car for oil?

I appreciate everyone's input... and again, forgive the "newbie" question. I'm learning...

Last edited by KADE; 07-02-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
First, we were all "Newbies" at some point, so you're in good company! Asking questions is how we learn.

Your question is fairly broad, so you will - no doubt - get a wide variation of answers.

For me, I change my own oil every 4,000 and when I lived in California I changed my own oil. The City of San Jose had an excellent oil recycling program. But here in Texas, it's not that easy. So I take my MB's to a local independent (sometimes called "Indies") oil change facility. You know, Jiffy-Lube, etc.

HOWEVER - and this is a huge *however* - it is crucial that you find one that is reputable, technically competent and uses the oils that YOU want to use - not what they want to sell you. This is not always an easy task! You may have to search a bit in your local area. If you are unsure, then by all means continue to utilize the MB Service Centers. But the Indies will be cheaper for you then the dealer. Just make sure you get the oils and consumables (filters, etc.) that are spelled out in your owner's manual.

Your owner's manual, or elsewhere on this board, will tell you what brands/weight of oil to use, as well as how often to change the fluids. Finally, a review of your service records done to date should tell you how often to service.

Oil change places can also do *some* other fluid maintenance, such as manual transmission oil changes, gear lube change, etc. For automatic transmission oil changes, I have an independent repair shop that is Mercedes-knowledgeable do mine since the oil change places rarely change the transmission filter or drain the torque converter.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM

E-500
Thanks...

Thanks guys... I posted this just 20 or so minutes ago and I've already gotten several good replies.

Before buying this MB I had a BMW and before that a VW... I've been slowly making my way up the German car market I'm very pleased with my E-500 so far. I know that upkeep can be expensive, but the cars are good and will last forever if taken care of.

I'm going to stick with the dealership for the first servicing. Though, the car says I've got another 10K or so miles before it needs anything... I think it says "G" service is due then?

Anyhow, I really enjoy this board and its already helped me tremendously.

Thanks for all the help! (and for the welcome).
Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Stay away from the Jiffy Lube type places at any cost. Follow the cars read out as so far as frequency is concerned. The inspections that accompany the oil changes are quite important and a dealership with the Star diagnostic system is important to find any electronic faults is important. I would stay with a dealership and forget any indy that does not have an up to date Star system. Doing this will give you very good reliability and the most trouble free operation for the long haul. Use only the synthetic oils and weights that MB suggests and the same goes for all other fluids and lubricants. Do not listen to anyone that tells you that an A or B service is only a fancy oil change. Lots more is inspected and the computer should be interragated for for faults with any oil change service. The services at a dealer may seem expensive however the cost per mile is quite low and it is the most cost effective way to maintain your MB
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by fenriz79
Thanks for all the help! (and for the welcome).
Here's some more help: You can go to the MBCA site and look for an independent shop in your state -- I found two good ones close to where I live.

I've attached the W211 service sheet so you have an idea of what services are required and when.

Good luck with the car and welcome to the MBWorld forum -- we're all here to help eachother!!

Regards,
paul...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W211 service sheet 08-05-02.pdf (145.7 KB, 246 views)
Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM

1998 MB E430
I have a Mercedes E430 (1998, nonsport) and I would like to know where I can get an oil change (near Stratford, CT) at an independent mechanic that specializes in Mercedes cars. No dealers, as they are expensive.