Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB with "New" tranny fluid....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
MB with "New" tranny fluid....

I wanted to verify with anyone here. I know a valid Mercedes Tech that let me know MB is carrying a different formula/base or tranny fluid now...I will be going in for a tranny flush in a few months...

not trying to start anything whether its time to change/shouldnt change or stuff just wondering if anyone has heard of it, or any info...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Sounds like your wallet is about to be flushed.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...81.A10297.html
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 PM

11 ML350
There are 2 types of trans fluid merecedes uses, one is for the 722.6 and the other is for the 722.9. The .9 fluid will work with the .6 but not the other way around.
For your 02 CLK you can use either, but the .6 fluid is cheaper.
I suggest a trans fluid flush and filter change on the merecedes every 60k to 100k.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Here's a good discussion on the ATF issue...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...?highlight=atf
Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I changed my transmission oil in our E500 last week.

1) I did it myself and used the MB tool to measure fluid level
2) I did not flush
3) I used MB oil from the dealer for this car
4) I used a new filter and gasket set
5) I measured exactly how much oil I drained out (4qts)
6) I refilled with exactly 4 qts.
7) The change went well and the car is driving with no issues

conclusions:

1) The oil was black and no longer red
2) The oil did not smell burnt
3) There were fine silt in the bottom of the pan as typical from transmission
changes I have done in the past
4) The transmission internals looked "new" with no gunk or other stuff
5) There is a large magnet in the pan that was cleaned and reused. There were no metal particles on it of significance
6) I would do it again and not flush
7) The total cost to me was about $140 to service the transmission at 70,000 miles

There are some minor details if you decide to do this job at home you should know that might save you some time over what I did as I had to learn along the way.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I changed my transmission oil in our E500 last week.

1) I did it myself and used the MB tool to measure fluid level
2) I did not flush
3) I used MB oil from the dealer for this car
4) I used a new filter and gasket set
5) I measured exactly how much oil I drained out (4qts)
6) I refilled with exactly 4 qts.
7) The change went well and the car is driving with no issues

conclusions:

1) The oil was black and no longer red
2) The oil did not smell burnt
3) There were fine silt in the bottom of the pan as typical from transmission
changes I have done in the past
4) The transmission internals looked "new" with no gunk or other stuff
5) There is a large magnet in the pan that was cleaned and reused. There were no metal particles on it of significance
6) I would do it again and not flush
7) The total cost to me was about $140 to service the transmission at 70,000 miles

There are some minor details if you decide to do this job at home you should know that might save you some time over what I did as I had to learn along the way.
How many hours of your time were involved, including decision-making, researching what needed to be done, getting the parts and changing the ATF? $140 is cheap if your time is worth nothing, but I suspect the real cost is closer to what the dealer would charge--and you wouldn't have to wonder if it was done right after you finished.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM

C280
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
How many hours of your time were involved, including decision-making, researching what needed to be done, getting the parts and changing the ATF? $140 is cheap if your time is worth nothing, but I suspect the real cost is closer to what the dealer would charge--and you wouldn't have to wonder if it was done right after you finished.
Good point, BUT he probably did a better job (attention to detail, etc) than the dealer. I know most shop/dealers know what they are doing, but you never know...there is always a risk.

Not to mention the experience he gained from doing the job himself, now he can do the job again without all the research. Of course the experience can carry over to other Mercedes (and other autos).
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
They do a tranmission service on the new SL's at around 30K miles.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
If I consider the Total cost as you clearly indicate isn't covered:

Me doing the work:
1) materials $140
2) Time 2 hrs prep
3) At last trip for normal service I bought the materials.
4) I charge $1000/day for my time so 2 hrs is $250

SO total cost would Be $400

But now lets consider the Dealer doing the work.

1) Assume dealer charges $400 You might say break even.
2) I drive 100 miles to get to the dealer so this is 2 hrs total / trip and I have to make 2 trips on 2 days for the service. So this is minimum 4 hrs of my time + 2 days I can't schedule anything else. Cost of just 4 hrs $500
3) Time waiting for car to be brought from shop for pickup at dealer 1 hr $250
4) Drive of 200 miles for trips to the dealer at $.25/mile = $50

Now consider dealer cost including my time at $1000 / hr

$450+$500+$250+50 = $1250 and I am stickler on details so when I do it no leaks or go backs.

Last edited by vettdvr; 02-14-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
If I consider the Total cost as you clearly indicate isn't covered:

Me doing the work:
1) materials $140
2) Time 2 hrs prep
3) At last trip for normal service I bought the materials.
4) I charge $1000/day for my time so 2 hrs is $250

SO total cost would Be $400

But now lets consider the Dealer doing the work.

1) Assume dealer charges $400 You might say break even.
2) I drive 100 miles to get to the dealer so this is 2 hrs total / trip and I have to make 2 trips on 2 days for the service. So this is minimum 4 hrs of my time + 2 days I can't schedule anything else. Cost of just 4 hrs $500
3) Time waiting for car to be brought from shop for pickup at dealer 1 hr $250
4) Drive of 200 miles for trips to the dealer at $.25/mile = $50

Now consider dealer cost including my time at $1000 / hr

$450+$500+$250+50 = $1250 and I am stickler on details so when I do it no leaks or go backs.
What a deal!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
i say absolutely change fluids!!!!!

automatic transmissions simplified,a pump generates pressure,a valve body and selonoid switches determine shift points.clutch packs are selected and released by pressure.thats it.new generation pumps dont destroy fluids,however on a healthy transmission changing the fluid will have absolutely no detrimental effect on the tranny,"none".clutch friction material is a natural wear component,it does contaminate the fluid and the filters are not designed to contain small micron particle contaminant.tranny filters are designed to provide full unrestricted flow and stop any relatively large debris from recirculating.I cant stress this point enough,transmission pan removal should be one of the cleanest jobs you perform.use lint free cloths to wipe anything,no dusty environments,no wind,use specified torques on any hardware thats touched,use only direct replacement MB fluids,the fluid level must be accurate and measured at op temp.if we follow these practices and do fluid flushes every 50,000 miles the trannys will never wear or degrade in performance from "abused transmission fluid".Ill end by saying that i enjoy maintaining mechanical machines for my benefit and to benefit anyone who buys one from me.i know there are people out there that are only concerned with performance while they are in posession of the vehicle and could care less about how long the car lasts after they are done with it. bones
Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
.I cant stress this point enough,transmission pan removal should be one of the cleanest jobs you perform.use lint free cloths to wipe anything,no dusty environments,no wind,use specified torques on any hardware thats touched,use only direct replacement MB fluids,the fluid level must be accurate and measured at op temp.if we follow these practices and do fluid flushes every 50,000 miles the trannys will never wear or degrade in performance from "abused transmission fluid".

Right on,, exactly my thoughts, which is why I change my fluid. BUT you must be fanitically clean when you do the work. This is why I try to minimize the time the pan is off and exposed to atmosphere. I toured the Batavia transmission factory and the entire place is a clean room to prevent dust and contaminates from entering the transmission.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 AM

CLS63, GLK350

Right on,, exactly my thoughts, which is why I change my fluid. BUT you must be fanitically clean when you do the work. This is why I try to minimize the time the pan is off and exposed to atmosphere. I toured the Batavia transmission factory and the entire place is a clean room to prevent dust and contaminates from entering the transmission.
Since the newer SL's require transmission service at 30K miles, do you worry about the dealer contaminating the transmission.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I had my Tech dO this(I didn't want to be responsible for leaks) on a 1989 420SEL. It cost me $180 out the door.
Drain trans and converter
Replace filter
New fluid
Drain differential and replace fluid.

I didn't think this was to bad.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Since the newer SL's require transmission service at 30K miles, do you worry about the dealer contaminating the transmission.
WTF do you think we are going to do to it? pee in the pan? maybe throw some sand in there?
I'm sorry for any bad experiences you guys have had at dealers for service work.
my personal favorite, though, is a bill from an independant shop that charged the customer 3 extra hours to remove the radiator in order to use a "huge impact gun" on a front pulley replacement. i bet that customer was glad he avoided the idiots at the dealer.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by benz-tech
WTF do you think we are going to do to it? pee in the pan? maybe throw some sand in there?
I'm sorry for any bad experiences you guys have had at dealers for service work.
my personal favorite, though, is a bill from an independant shop that charged the customer 3 extra hours to remove the radiator in order to use a "huge impact gun" on a front pulley replacement. i bet that customer was glad he avoided the idiots at the dealer.
My post was regarding the need for a clean room with no dust to keep everything clean. Never saw one in any dealership or indepent, so how do you answer for keeping things clean?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
My post was regarding the need for a clean room with no dust to keep everything clean. Never saw one in any dealership or indepent, so how do you answer for keeping things clean?
It's not that freakin critical.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by hineywineries
It's not that freakin critical.

Correct. Just minimize the time the tranny is open, clean everything properly then reassemble. I have been in a factory transmission assembly clean room. You are not building valve bodies etc,, just opening the pan and clean up. So if you are in a "normal environment" and clean up properly you won't have a problem.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Correct. Just minimize the time the tranny is open, clean everything properly then reassemble. I have been in a factory transmission assembly clean room. You are not building valve bodies etc,, just opening the pan and clean up. So if you are in a "normal environment" and clean up properly you won't have a problem.
Good to know since I have to have mine changed at 30K miles