Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech help needed. Heater issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Tech help needed. Heater issues

My wife absolutely loves her '07 E350 4Matic, Sport with P1, and it's been to the shop twice already to fix the following 2 items. The shop-techs, as well as everyone else at the dealer cannot make the necessary repairs. If I have to, I'll go the "Lemon Law" route, but the car's amazing, and we prefer to have it fixed. Any experts out there for these 2 issues?

1. Cover for sunroof continues to make a tapping/clicking sound when going over bumps. Been in twice for foam inside the headliner but doesn't solve the problem. The noise is coming from the rear area of the shade.

2. Heater: For no apparent reason, I sometimes get cold air blowing on my feet on the driver's side, even when there's a call for heat, and heat is blowing from the other vents. When it blows cold, the only way to get heat down there is to turn the temp dail up to max (but it gets too hot). This is an intermittant problem and the dealer can't duplicate it.

Thanks in advance, and any/all help is appreciated.

Last edited by SPNJHockey; 02-14-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by SPNJHockey

2. Heater: For no apparent reason, I sometimes get cold air blowing on my feet on the driver's side, even when there's a call for heat, and heat is blowing from the other vents. When it blows cold, the only way to get heat down there is to turn the temp dail up to max (but it gets too hot). This is an intermittant problem and the dealer can't duplicate it.

Thanks in advance, and any/all help is appreciated.
This is my complaint since 03 on our E500. Feet always cold not enough heat. This is when the heater is functioning and all is normal. This might be a design issue.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr
...Feet always cold not enough heat.
Funny though...occassionally, it switches to cold, all by itself under the dash; but the other outlets are normal, according to what the temp is asking for.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
sunroof covers rattle

our C-240,E-320 and S-500 all rattle a bit from the sunroof covers but only on really rough roads,never while driving in normal conditions.slide the cover back manually when it rattles to make sure it's the cover and not a component of the sunroof mechanical linkage.if you leave the cover in the aft position it should never rattle.also check that your navi isnt displaying "this is a Mercedes Benz avoid rattle prone roads". bones
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the cold air start to blow on your feet after a long period of the heater being on? 1-2 hr
Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by BryanW203
Does the cold air start to blow on your feet after a long period of the heater being on? 1-2 hr
No, Bryan. It has happened occasionally after the car's been running for 15 minutes, or so.
There's been heat coming from the other outlets while cold comes from the lower.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
slide the cover back manually when it rattles to make sure it's the cover and not a component of the sunroof mechanical linkage.if you leave the cover in the aft position it should never rattle.
Def the cover. I can replicate the noise by tapping up on the piece (even though the techs can't!). No alternate position helps eliminate the noise.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM

No one here has intimate knowledge of the heating system?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 c36
for the sunroof liner= the clips that hold it in the track may be coming apart. have them replace the liner if they determine that its not a mechanical failure in the sunroof tray itself. for the a/c, it could be a number of things. there should be codes in the aac control unit. if not, they should be able to check the actual values, and figure it out from there. like i said, without being able to see the car i cant give you a definate answer of what the problem is since there are so many factors involved. where are you located?

Last edited by CFLPEEK; 02-29-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CFLPEEK
...Where are you located?
Morris County, NJ
Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM

OK, car went into the shop the day before yesterday. Got a call today saying that the tech wasn't able to replicate my complaint regarding the heating issue.

The good news is...the sun roof cover/shade was fixed (for the third time).

It really sucks that I bought this vehicle as a present for my wife. She's not getting any enjoyment out of it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Your cold air problem might be the cycling of the ac on and off. It might be operating normal. It blows hot air like your home heating system,, then when it turns off it continues to cycle the air but it may not be heated. This could be normal operation for a temperature control system. That's why it is my complaint,, my feet always get cold in winter because of this cycling. This might be why they could not duplicate a problem if it is operating AS DESIGNED.

You might take it out of auto mode put it in manual and see if there is any difference.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr
You might take it out of auto mode put it in manual and see if there is any difference.
Will do, and thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 AMG pkg
I have an 07 E350 sport and my heat works perfectly after a tech at ASC synchronized the stepper motors and adjusted the temp setting. There is a setting that adjust the sensitivity of cabin temp, my setting was off by 8 degrees. Also was told not to point the center vent upwards towards the in car temp sensor which is located in the dome light assembly, this causes the control unit to get the wrong cabin temp and adjust accordingly.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by brakel8
I have an 07 E350 sport and my heat works perfectly after a tech at ASC synchronized the stepper motors and adjusted the temp setting. There is a setting that adjust the sensitivity of cabin temp, my setting was off by 8 degrees. Also was told not to point the center vent upwards towards the in car temp sensor which is located in the dome light assembly, this causes the control unit to get the wrong cabin temp and adjust accordingly.

Bro, I'm thinking that you're an eff-ing genius. However...regarding "off by 8 degrees," was yours set 8 degrees higher or lower than it should have been? Brilliant, Dude, just brilliant.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by brakel8
Bro,
Did you have the same symptoms that I do?