Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt/Chain on ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt/Chain on ML320

Well, I had the problem resolved in the following thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/235413-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing-99-ml320.html

It turns out it was the rear center driveshaft bearing that went. Had it replaced and all is well. However, the tech at my local import shop asked when the timing belt was last replaced as the '99 ML320 has an interference engine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought MBZ's don't have belts, but chains. Anyone know for sure on the ML320? I know it has the poly v belt but this is the first I heard of a timing belt. Maybe the tech is huffing paint!

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by swimman
Well, I had the problem resolved in the following thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235413

It turns out it was the rear center driveshaft bearing that went. Had it replaced and all is well. However, the tech at my local import shop asked when the timing belt was last replaced as the '99 ML320 has an interference engine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought MBZ's don't have belts, but chains. Anyone know for sure on the ML320? I know it has the poly v belt but this is the first I heard of a timing belt. Maybe the tech is huffing paint!

Thanks.
If in fact that is what they told you I would get out of there very fast and not look back!! All MB's have chains not belts. Find yourself a new shop right away.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
Find your worst enemy, pretend you are friends and tell him you've found a great shop. then, you'll have many years of laughter knowing he's pissing money away to some moron who either 1) doesn't know that an MB doesn't use a timing belt. or worse 2) knows, but is trying to rip you off.

long live the indie!