Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C240 03 112.916 transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2003
Angry C240 03 112.916 transmission fluid change

Very strange thing happen when I change the transmission fluid:
First I mistaken transmission pan as oil pan, so I drained the transmission fluid ( about 2.5 Quart). Then I overfilled my oil tank about double oil. Luckly I found the mistake ( I just drive a few yards in and outside garage), so I dump the engine oil and correct the normal quant. Then I bought 3L MB transmission oil (the right stuff from dealer cost 90) and filled to the filler ( behind the engine on left side of firewall -facing engine) about 2.5Q. When I test drove, I notice delay in changing gear, so it revv a lot. I thought might be not enogh, I put in all 3L, now still same problem, sometimes after a little drive better. I wnet to bought a MB dipstick, and it showed I way overfilled, so I drain 3times about 2.0 q, still showed overfilled with stick. This is impossible, and now the gear even can't get in, it just revv without engage. I refilled the drain ( I drained to original container) , now still same. It won't gear in like no fluid was filled.) I also noticed the drain is yellowish brown color, the MB auto transmission oil is red. Am I missing something here? Is that I filled in wrong filler? I checked web no picture showed the filler position, but on of old MB c240 97, at about same position with smaller engine block. Please help, any experiened appreciated.

I also doubt the transmission is customer one. Where can I found the type number?

Last edited by zebra100; 05-09-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
The transmission filler tube hase the cap with the locking tab on top of it.

Make shure that, when you're checking the transmission fluid level, the engine is running and the transmission fluid is hot. It is supposed to be at 80 degrees celcius.

With the transmission drained from the drain plug in the transmission pan, it should only need about 3-3.5 quarts.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM

C240 2003
This cap doesn't have a lock on it, it's just black short cap with short stright-up key handle on top. It's by the firewall behind left side of engine cover (facing back of the car). If this filler tube is not transmmision filler, what it can be? Is the transmission filler cap under the engine cover ( a big back/silver square placstic cover in middle under hood)?

Yes, I running the car with shifting several times before check, but even with 40 c, the fluid is way above ( 2 in ) of max hot fluid mark. Something is definitely wrong.

Last edited by zebra100; 05-09-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
That is the engine oil dipstick tube.

If you take the big black airbox cover off the transmission fill/dipstick tube is between the tube you have been using and the air inlet for the engine. It sits lower than the engine oil tube and has a black or red rectangular tab, on top of the cover, that needs to be broken off and the inside portion needs to be pushed out. The cover for the tube can then be removed and transmission fluid poured into that tube.

I suggest that you drain the engine oil out again, as it seems that you have added an extra 3liters of trans fluid to the engine.

Your trans is not engaging because the fluid is too low. Correct the fluid level as I directed earlier, and the transmission should be fine.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by zebra100
Very strange thing happen when I change the transmission fluid:
First I mistaken transmission pan as oil pan, so I drained the transmission fluid ( about 2.5 Quart). Then I overfilled my oil tank about double oil. Luckly I found the mistake ( I just drive a few yards in and outside garage), so I dump the engine oil and correct the normal quant. Then I bought 3L MB transmission oil (the right stuff from dealer cost 90) and filled to the filler ( behind the engine on left side of firewall -facing engine) about 2.5Q. When I test drove, I notice delay in changing gear, so it revv a lot. I thought might be not enogh, I put in all 3L, now still same problem, sometimes after a little drive better. I wnet to bought a MB dipstick, and it showed I way overfilled, so I drain 3times about 2.0 q, still showed overfilled with stick. This is impossible, and now the gear even can't get in, it just revv without engage. I refilled the drain ( I drained to original container) , now still same. It won't gear in like no fluid was filled.) I also noticed the drain is yellowish brown color, the MB auto transmission oil is red. Am I missing something here? Is that I filled in wrong filler? I checked web no picture showed the filler position, but on of old MB c240 97, at about same position with smaller engine block. Please help, any experiened appreciated.

I also doubt the transmission is customer one. Where can I found the type number?
Welcome to my world. Basically I did the same thing. I pulled the tranny pan changed gasket and filter then on refilling I added the $20/qt MB fluid into the tube on the rear of the engine because the E500 had no dipstick. However it does! have the tube. The dipstick tube is on the rear of the engine by the pass side. The transmission tube is way down low on top of the bell housing. The cap has part # A1402700001 with a locking T. Push down on the T to unlock the pull the cap off. My tranny took 4 qts to fill.

Don't feel bad about this there isn't much information and MB doesn't clearly mark the tranny tube as other makes do. You didn't hurt the tranny but you probably don't have the correct level.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM

C240 2003
thanks, guys. I.m trying.