Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response... actually a lack of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Throttle response... actually a lack of...

Hello Folks...

So I am driving to an appointment yesterday and I am almost there. Everthing is normal. I take a corner and out of nowhere the throttle is dead. The engine is idling but there is no increase in RPM as I push on the pedal. I pull off and put it in "Park". I wait a few seconds and try again and after about 10 seconds of pushing the pedal I get some response so I go the final two blocks to my destination.

I do a re-start and it runs normally for the rest of the day. When I went home later I used some contact cleaner on the throttle actuator connector under the hood and it seems to run fine. There have been no CEL or malfunction messages.

When things like this happen, I always look for something I changed recently. The only work done has been new plugs and plug wires. The plugs are Bosch IR Fusion and the new wires are from Magnecor. Could there be a connection?

I have an extended warranty at this time. Is it time to visit my friendly service writer? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by HighEndOne
Hello Folks...

So I am driving to an appointment yesterday and I am almost there. Everthing is normal. I take a corner and out of nowhere the throttle is dead. The engine is idling but there is no increase in RPM as I push on the pedal. I pull off and put it in "Park". I wait a few seconds and try again and after about 10 seconds of pushing the pedal I get some response so I go the final two blocks to my destination.

I do a re-start and it runs normally for the rest of the day. When I went home later I used some contact cleaner on the throttle actuator connector under the hood and it seems to run fine. There have been no CEL or malfunction messages.

When things like this happen, I always look for something I changed recently. The only work done has been new plugs and plug wires. The plugs are Bosch IR Fusion and the new wires are from Magnecor. Could there be a connection?

I have an extended warranty at this time. Is it time to visit my friendly service writer? Thanks.

I would not expect plugs and wires to cause this problem. However a connector might have been bumped resulting in a bad connection. My first thoughts were TPS which you cleaned the contacts. If it is working ok and not codes or check engine light, continue driving to see if it repeats. Taking it to dealer with no codes, they would not find anything anyway and just waste your time.