Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please Loud Noise C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Help Please Loud Noise C240

Can someone please help me I have a c240 that has never given me any real problems until yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden i started hearing this noise it sounded like a uhaul truck or a old car with a bad muffler except it was come from under the hood just a noise loud enough to be heard with the window down with the window up i heard no noise i
I listened to the noise under the hood it sound like it was in front by the belt but the engine was also trembling like a wet dog nothing too serious just a little i took it to a man who sounded very unsure he said i needed a new engine because it woud be too much work to locate the problem because its inside the engine after reading forums all night i found that maybe i have more than one problem my car has 100k miles and its a 2002 can anyone help i might be forced to go to mercades benz
Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
First off, is the check engine light on? If so, read the codes and post them.

Secondly, get a better mechanic.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Too much work to find out what the noise is, so just get a new engine

Get a new guy who knows his *** from his elbow.

Unless something is destroyed I doubt it is the engine internals.

Could you describe the noise better?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by TMAllison
First off, is the check engine light on? If so, read the codes and post them.

Secondly, get a better mechanic.
+1
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Unhappy

My check engine light is not on my car isnt smooking or over heating the car had oil i just got a oil change the day after the noise began the noise sounds like a old truck and its consitant when i drive it gets louder then it seems to clam down but stays consistant
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by tsbeliza
My check engine light is not on my car isnt smooking or over heating the car had oil i just got a oil change the day after the noise began the noise sounds like a old truck and its consitant when i drive it gets louder then it seems to clam down but stays consistant

Get another mechanic replacing the engine on this little information is nuts

You said that the noise changes when the engine speeds up. Is this with the car parked or being driven or both.

If it is with the car parked engine running then you should look at the belts on the engine with the engine running. While they are running look for any of the pulleys/wheels the belts run on to see if they are all turning even. If you see one not turning or not turning at speed or wobbling this will be your problem area.

This is at least a place to start and be careful around the fan with the engine running. Just look, don't reach.