Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing some Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
Doing some Work

My car is now at 75k and I'm getting ready to do an oil change. As well I need to change my Pads and Rotors, along with my transmission fluids.

Questions -

1.) Has anyone ever purchased from Trademotion? They have a great price on some rotors and it's straight from the dealer listed, but are they the proper rotors that I need? I don't want to order OEM rotors and get OEM without the drilled holes like they offer at my dealer.

2.) What pads would be best, in terms of quality and dust free material? For OEM cost I'm sure I can do better, no?

3.) Transmission fluids, Some members will never change it but I remember Oxygen changing his before. Does it need to be flushed or will a Gasket/Filter/Fluid change be sufficient enough to get done?

4.) What's your favorite air freshener sent

ALi
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Can't answer your pad and rotor questions; my 99 came with Pagid pads OEM. If yours came with cross drilled rotors it likely came with different pads too.

MB's recomendation concering changing fluid in 722.6 trans has gone from "life time fill", to change once at 39K, to its current recommendation to change EVERY 39k miles.

Requires a specific fluid previously only avail through MB. Now, a couple of others including Shell/Fuchs Titan (OEM), Febi and Mobil make a compatible product.

You don't have a TC drain plug so can only drain the pan and install a new filter.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Thank you for the response.

Do you mean Drop the pan to drain it? The last sentence confused me a bit.

ALi
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 PM

09' E320
Prior to 00, MB installed a torque converter (TC) drain plug in addition to a pan plug. That basically allowed for a full fluid change, other than what was retained in the lines and trans cooler. Yours wont have a TC drain plug so you will only be able to drain 3-4 of the 7-8 liters that the trans holds. Some folks hook them up to a flushing machine with some positive and negative results. Search that. Others will fill them, run them an hour and then drain them from the pan again, while still others will drain the pan once (50% fluid change) and call it good.

You'll need the factory dip stick tool, a new lock pin for the tube cap, new pan gasket, filter, fluid, and ideally some way to confirm the fluid is at 80C (go for a 20 mile drive) when measured with the factory dip stick tool. Current fill recommendation is to fill to the top of the "upper" level range of the HOT temp marks on the dip stick.

Other than that it is a pretty normal service.

Last edited by TMAllison; 05-25-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by TMAllison
Prior to 00, MB installed a torque converter (TC) drain plug in addition to a pan plug. That basically allowed for a full fluid change, other than what was retained in the lines and trans cooler. Yours wont have a TC drain plug so you will only be able to drain 3-4 of the 7-8 liters that the trans holds. Some folks hook them up to a flushing machine with some positive and negative results. Search that. Others will fill them, run them an hour and then drain them from the pan again, while still others will drain the pan once (50% fluid change) and call it good.

You'll need the factory dip stick tool, a new lock pin for the tube cap, new pan gasket, filter, fluid, and ideally some way to confirm the fluid is at 80C (go for a 20 mile drive) when measured with the factory dip stick tool. Current fill recommendation is to fill to the top of the "upper" level range of the HOT temp marks on the dip stick.

Other than that it is a pretty normal service.
You sound like a service rep/tech, and That post is why I think I'm going to leave this to a pro and not attempt it myself lol. Now I just gotta find a rep willing to make some cash on the side .

Thank you once again for an informative post.

ALi
Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM

09' E320
Not a tech; just someone who likes to do their own services where possible.

Didn't mean to scare you away. The trans service is actually easier on a MB having a drain plug than it used to be on old american iron where you had to drop the full pan while avoiding a bath.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
The five speed is much easier to flush then the 7 speed. You need a special machine to fill it.

If the drain plug has not been removed before the paint covering it sticks a bit. I hold pressure on the ratchet and then hit the head of the ratchet with a small hammer to break it free.

When you just drop the pan and refill, it takes about 4 quarts to refill.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
I talked to my friend who does work on higher end cars. I don't think he has a transmission flusher thing but he does have a dipstick from when he works on the S500's he services. He said he'll charge me 100 to do my brakes and pads and 50 to do my trans.

I ordered the Gasket and Filter for the transmission already, just gotta pick up the fluid from the dealership.

ALi
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Goliath27
I talked to my friend who does work on higher end cars. I don't think he has a transmission flusher thing but he does have a dipstick from when he works on the S500's he services. He said he'll charge me 100 to do my brakes and pads and 50 to do my trans.

I ordered the Gasket and Filter for the transmission already, just gotta pick up the fluid from the dealership.

ALi
Hmmm I would charge you 50 for the brakes and 100 for the trans. Brakes are so much easier and nicer to do. I don't like trans fluid.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by Gullwing
Hmmm I would charge you 50 for the brakes and 100 for the trans. Brakes are so much easier and nicer to do. I don't like trans fluid.
I pay Mr. B in favors, take the same? lol

Gotta do an oil change as well but that I can do my self. Gotta remember to get the copper ring gasket thing lol.

ALi