Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans prob....E500 2002 mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500
Trans prob....E500 2002 mod

I recently had my transmission sump removed,new filter, gasket ect,and refilled with ATF, however, I am damned sure they`ve overfilled it. The company do nothing but auto box`es. They billed me for 7ltrs tranny fluid, they also wrote this on the top of the engine in white felt tip. I know that the total amount in a new or recon box is 7ltrs, but a refill is alot less owing to the amount left in the converter. the company became very arrogant and offensive when I told them.I am a ships chief engineer, so I fully understand whats going on here. Mercedes wont tell me, my question : "what is the correct amount of ATF in these circumstances?". there are no Merc workshops in this area, thats why I took the car elsewhere. kind regards
huh...I just looked in w211 and found my answer..some say 4ltrs some say 4quarts..I shall take it from there. cheers fellas.

Last edited by daveboat; 02-16-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: found the answer by scrolling W211
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by daveboat
I recently had my transmission sump removed,new filter, gasket ect,and refilled with ATF, however, I am damned sure they`ve overfilled it. The company do nothing but auto box`es. They billed me for 7ltrs tranny fluid, they also wrote this on the top of the engine in white felt tip. I know that the total amount in a new or recon box is 7ltrs, but a refill is alot less owing to the amount left in the converter. the company became very arrogant and offensive when I told them.I am a ships chief engineer, so I fully understand whats going on here. Mercedes wont tell me, my question : "what is the correct amount of ATF in these circumstances?". there are no Merc workshops in this area, thats why I took the car elsewhere. kind regards
huh...I just looked in w211 and found my answer..some say 4ltrs some say 4quarts..I shall take it from there. cheers fellas.
I have a 2003 E500 w/ 5 speed auto.

I changed the fluid and filter myself. I did only the pan. I measured very precisely what was taken out. 4 qts. I put back exactly 4 qts and all has been well for the last 3 years. I have since bought the MB dipstick part # 140 589 15 21 00 to measure the level.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500
trans prob E500 2002 mod

thanks Vettdvr, much appreciate your confirmation. I used a marine inboard diesel engine sump pump ( obtainable from any marine chandler for £10) and a thin clear plastic tube and sucked out a sample of fluid,it was almost black. transmission fluid is red is it not or nearly transparent. There was little or no smell of burning i.e. clutch components ect. I am going to remove the remainder of the fluid and drop the pan, also send a sample to the lab. Just wondering what these people did to my car. Fortunately the trans seems o.k but it slipped a couple of time`s and thats what got me thinking about the amount of fluid they put in ( charging me for 7ltrs ect). I know for sure that this must be a very precise measurement. let you know what happens...regards.... Dave. Cars done 92k
Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by daveboat
thanks Vettdvr, much appreciate your confirmation. I used a marine inboard diesel engine sump pump ( obtainable from any marine chandler for £10) and a thin clear plastic tube and sucked out a sample of fluid,it was almost black. transmission fluid is red is it not or nearly transparent. There was little or no smell of burning i.e. clutch components ect. I am going to remove the remainder of the fluid and drop the pan, also send a sample to the lab. Just wondering what these people did to my car. Fortunately the trans seems o.k but it slipped a couple of time`s and thats what got me thinking about the amount of fluid they put in ( charging me for 7ltrs ect). I know for sure that this must be a very precise measurement. let you know what happens...regards.... Dave. Cars done 92k
Check the owners manual and make sure you use MB approved fluid for that transmission. Incorrect fluid will cause failure. I bought MB fluid at $22 / qt from the dealer. The fluid type is really important.