Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 S320 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s320
Question 1994 S320 Check Engine Light

My newly acquired 1994 S320 runs and drives Ok, but here are my problems.
1st Symptoms:
Without touching anything, the check engine light (CEL) came on and all the service lights on the instrument cluster worked. Plugged in my OBD ll reader and retrived 2 codes, P1444 and P1342. After checking what they meant I erased them and the CEL went off and read "No Codes". Drove the car for 2-3 cycles and the CEL came on and read same codes. Repeated this a few times with same results. Checked connections to Purge Solenoid (P1444) and Cam Solenoid (P1342) and found engine wiring harness insulation deterioated and falling apart and bare wires now rubbing together. Seperated wires as best as possible.
2nd Symptoms:
Car started and ran as before-OK. CEL won't light and now most of the service lights won't light in #2 key position before starting. Connected OBD ll reader and now reads "Link Error" (failure to communicate). Disconnected battery and replaced original engine wiring harness with brand new one @ $500+. Car starts and run as before but has same symptoms ( CEL out and several service lights out and "Link Error").
My questions:
1. Did I zap the ECM/ECU?
2. Will the car run with a bad ECM/ECU?
3. Is it time to take it and have MB Star Diagnistic at the 38 pin X11/4 connector?
I'm just trying to get it through California Smog so I can get the Title.
Any help would be greatly appricated.
Thanks,
Kimobenz

Last edited by kimoclutter; 03-16-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:47 PM

2005 E320
Kimobenz Have you check the fuse on top of Base module at right side under hood in side of midule box with red 10 amps at top ?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 AM

s320
Originally Posted by ometofu
Kimobenz Have you check the fuse on top of Base module at right side under hood in side of midule box with red 10 amps at top ?
Thanks for your input. I had already checked these fuses and power to them. All OK there. I went and re-checked the main fuse panel and found #24 7.5 amp fuse blown. Replace fuse and Service Lights worked and OBD ll reader functioning again. Now onto my original problem with the CEL and code P1444. I think the "Change Over Valve" is malfunctioning.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM

s320
Smile UPDATE: Passed California Smog Inspection

UPDATE: Problems solved, passed Smog Inspection today and mailed paperwork to DMV.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by kimoclutter
UPDATE: Problems solved, passed Smog Inspection today and mailed paperwork to DMV.
What did you find as the base problem?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM

s320
Smile Passed California Smog Inspection

Originally Posted by vettdvr
What did you find as the base problem?
Thanks for your interest.

After replacing wiring harness with a new one, which it needed, CEL & Code P1444 still existed.
Remover Crossover Valve for EGR/AIR Pump and checked it both electrically and with vacuum and seemed OK to me, but replaced it anyway with good used one off the internet for $30. CEL & Code P1444 still existed.
Went to local MB Dealer for the dreaded SDS diagnostic check but they wanted $330 to just do a diagnostic, 3hr minimum. No Way!
Finally looked around somemore and found a vacuum line L connection, buried behind the vacuum check valve located under the throttle valve, disconnected from its nipple on the intake manifold. (This line went to another crossover valve under the cover on the drivers side of the engine compartment) Re-attached connection and cleared P1444 and CEL went out and didn't come back on after driving around the neighborhood and cycling it off and restarting many times.
Went and had Smog Inspection and it passed.
Mailed 10 pages of paper work to DMV to get the Title.Praying all the i's are dotted and all the t's are crossed.

Just some notes: Used a Actron Pocket Scan Plus ODB ll code reader attached to the port located under a little cover on the left side of the steering column. I think the 1994 S320's were the first ones to have the ODB ll capabilities. Most other cars started in 1996.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by kimoclutter
Thanks for your interest.

After replacing wiring harness with a new one, which it needed, CEL & Code P1444 still existed.
Remover Crossover Valve for EGR/AIR Pump and checked it both electrically and with vacuum and seemed OK to me, but replaced it anyway with good used one off the internet for $30. CEL & Code P1444 still existed.
Went to local MB Dealer for the dreaded SDS diagnostic check but they wanted $330 to just do a diagnostic, 3hr minimum. No Way!
Finally looked around somemore and found a vacuum line L connection, buried behind the vacuum check valve located under the throttle valve, disconnected from its nipple on the intake manifold. (This line went to another crossover valve under the cover on the drivers side of the engine compartment) Re-attached connection and cleared P1444 and CEL went out and didn't come back on after driving around the neighborhood and cycling it off and restarting many times.
Went and had Smog Inspection and it passed.
Mailed 10 pages of paper work to DMV to get the Title.Praying all the i's are dotted and all the t's are crossed.

Just some notes: Used a Actron Pocket Scan Plus ODB ll code reader attached to the port located under a little cover on the left side of the steering column. I think the 1994 S320's were the first ones to have the ODB ll capabilities. Most other cars started in 1996.
Good detective work. I am fully aware of the dreaded smog check. I lived in Calif in 93 and both cars had to pass but were moved into the state when I moved to calif. Neither were "california cars"..so we had an exciting time.