Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor fault code???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Camshaft position sensor fault code???

I have an '06 C230 with about 82K miles and the check engine light has been going on and off over the last month. On for a few days, off for a week, then back on for a while. I stopped by an Advance Auto Parts today and they checked the system and got a reading that the camshaft position sensor in bank 1 was bad. They say that the part is $126 and that I should be OK to not panic as it should not cause and major damage but could keep the car from starting or running rough if it gets too bad. They said that the sensor in located on the drivers side and should not be too hard to get to.

Obviously the car is out of warranty and would prefer to replace this part myself if feasable. I have a fair amount of mechanical ability and just about every tool that could be needed but have no idea on how to locate the sensor or if this is something that I should have a professional shop take care of.

Can anyone help with some guidence on what I should/can do?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
fIRST

IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO GET THE CODE and post it
Never trust what some clerk says the code means.He could be wrong or right
best to post.
Second don't buy the cam sensor from the corner store it most likely is a clone.
Check autohausaz or peachparts.
Third. easy diy it is located on the front of the head and when you have the new one in hand you remove the old and in with the new.

Your own obd2 scanner comes in handy
they run about 60 bucks at harborfreght tools with stores in most large towns or online.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63, 04 discovery
I agree with Ohlord, You should post the code, not that its imposible for the cam sensor to turn the check engine light on and off, but the on and off check engine light seems like a problem with a cam magnet. This would make a big difference because a cam sensor could stop the vehicle from starting like they said, but if its a cam magnet you wouldn't have any noticeable problems besides the check engine light. both are easy to replace.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/i...rt_finder.html B6/6 Cam sensor, there are two per bank, intake and exhaust.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/i...rt_finder.html Y49/6 Cam magnet, two per bank, intake and exhaust.

Last edited by j21importer; 01-30-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: more information.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
j21importer is dead on. These M272 engines are notorious for the camshaft magnet to go bad. I changed mine recently, it was on the exhaust side (bottom).
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I stopped by an Advance Auto Parts today and they checked the system and got a reading that the camshaft position sensor in bank 1 was bad. They said that the sensor in located on the drivers side and should not be too hard to get to.
Bank 1 cylinders 1, 2 and 3 is on the passenger side.
Bank 2 cylinders 4, 5 and 6 is on the driver's side.