Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Centering the Steering Wheel DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Centering the Steering Wheel DIY?

My steering wheel has been slightly off center ever since I had my motor mounts replaced...can I center it (just needs a slight move to the left) by myself or will I have to go to the dealer?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
This is best done on the alignment rack - go to the dealer and have it done. Assuming the dealer did the motor work, there should be no charge, but in any case, this is a fairly quick job on the rack by any tech who knows what he is doing.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for your response. I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Just as FYI, you can't just unbolt a steering wheel on a Mercedes, center it and put it back on. As I watched my mechanic when he replaced mine with a new one, the steering wheel's thread only fit in one position on the column so as not to put one on off center. You must have the alignment adjusted to straighten out your wheel. Have a good one...
Old 05-13-2003, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The steering wheel can easily be centered. However first check the reason for the wheel being off center. If the alignment has been reworked it could be off center, but also if the alignment experienced severe hits from potholes or sidewalks. In this case centering does not help much.
To center it take the airbag off (careful!!) unplug its ignition wire, and loosen the central bolt (approx an 8 milli meter allen screw) pull the wheel towards you and put it back on in the right position. The connection of the wheel and the column is made by a multi teeth connection (sorry but I dont know the perfect English word for this) which allows locating the wheel in approx. 10 degrees steps.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bamberger_1
The steering wheel can easily be centered. However first check the reason for the wheel being off center. If the alignment has been reworked it could be off center, but also if the alignment experienced severe hits from potholes or sidewalks. In this case centering does not help much.
To center it take the airbag off (careful!!) unplug its ignition wire, and loosen the central bolt (approx an 8 milli meter allen screw) pull the wheel towards you and put it back on in the right position. The connection of the wheel and the column is made by a multi teeth connection (sorry but I dont know the perfect English word for this) which allows locating the wheel in approx. 10 degrees steps.
Bamberger, are you sure you can reposition the wheel by unbolting it? Is that model specific or can you do that for all models. Just wondering as I don't want to be misinformed by my mechanic. Thanks for you input...
Old 05-16-2003, 01:46 PM

@Bamberger_1,

That is not the way to center the steering wheel!

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2003, 08:52 PM

It is correct that there are splines, however, there is a "keyed" spline so as though the steering wheel can only fit in one position. I have removed many late model Benz steering wheels and this is what I have seen every time. The alignment must be checked to properly fix this situation.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by elite101
...to properly fix...
Indeed!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by elite101
It is correct that there are splines, however, there is a "keyed" spline so as though the steering wheel can only fit in one position. I have removed many late model Benz steering wheels and this is what I have seen every time. The alignment must be checked to properly fix this situation.
That's what I thought too! Thanks for the info...