Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting with Keyless Go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Tinting with Keyless Go

I have a new E500 Sport with Keyless Go. Will tinting the windows effect the operation of the Keyless Go signal?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:42 AM

Well...you stated that you have the Sport package, which comes with the "Blue Tinted Glass". First, I dont know if you can tint over the blue glass, there has been a discussion about this where people have had problems. Second, if the windows are already tinted (although Im not familar with the blue tint), I would assume you could tint the windows, if you could get it to work (as I stated in my first point).

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2003, 11:12 AM

the only time you might have a problem is if the film is metalized. are you talking about the windows up/down with the key? if you are then no it has no effect.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:25 AM

2010 E550
No, I'm talking about Keyless Go Option. You have the key in your pocket and then you can unlock the car by pulling the door handle and start it by pressing a button on the gear shift without ever putting the key in the ignition.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
No problem at all. Tinting will have no effect on keyless-go.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM

2010 E550
mdp,

does it have to be non-metalisized film? Have you tried it or seen it operational?
Old 05-08-2003, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
On the blue tint discussion, it has been my experience in the past that it is not a problem to tint over the "blue tint" on the car when it is factory because the tint is in the glass and not on the surface. I have tinted several Benz's in this situation and have not had any problems (this is just my experience). Madico brand (non-metallic) tint is all I use. I recommend it to everyone who tints as it's track record is excellent! I have never used metallic tint over blue tinted glass before so I cannot comment on this. As far as your Keyless Go option, you shouldn't have a problem because the signals are transmitted through the air and should be able to go through the glass (tinted or not) if the sensor is on the inside.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:41 PM

2010 E550
Does the Madico ever fade? All my tint places tell me that without metal the tint will eventually fade.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:43 PM

2002 c230k
The amount of metal in the metalized film does not effect the keyless go or fm to any great extent.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The tint shop that I have been dealing with for many many years, even before I was tinting will differ (I just called them). No matter what some people say and others don't, ALL TINT WILL FADE OR DEGRADE over time and expossure under the sun. Madico tint will fade like ALL of the rest and it all depends on how you take care of your tint to make it last. The quality of Madico helps it last a little longer than its competitors. As long as you don't use any ammonia or alcohol based detergents/solvents to clean your windows, you should be fine for many years to come. Legit tint shops will even warrantly your tint for life against bubbling, cracking and peeling but not fading! Any amount of metal in tint usually ends up making the tint somewhat reflective, which IMO looks terrible. Any decision you make will be up to you and I wish you much luck with it. I am just stating my opinion and the opinion of my contacts at the tint shop.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:11 PM

2010 E550
Thanks for the info and it was nice of you to call your tint shop. I will have to hunt around here in KC to see if I can find Madico.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by STKLAW
Thanks for the info and it was nice of you to call your tint shop. I will have to hunt around here in KC to see if I can find Madico.
No problem at all, you're very welcome! BTW, if you are trying to find a shop that uses Madico, try contacting the Madico company direct and ask them if they can direct you to a shop near you. Here is the link to their website: http://www.madico.com/