Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious issues with my 2000 e430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e430 4matic
Serious issues with my 2000 e430

The car runs like a top, and out of all the cars i've ever owned, i love this one the most, it's been the best and most reliable. BUT, i was taking my buddy to get his drivers license FINALLY ( he's 25 ), and on the way there, i was on a straight stretch hauling some ***, and had the pedal to the metal, and it started losing power and flashing the CEL. I pulled over and started checking stuff out, and nothing was out of the ordinary. I started back up and it was normal again. I proceeded on my way. It was all good till we went back the next day because he failed. I was passing a line of like 6 cars, and as i was passing the semi which caused the jam, i started slowing and losing power again. When i shut the car off and clear the codes it runs fine and perfect, but when i press the pedal down the whole way it starts flashing misfires and slowing again. I clear the codes and drive it normal without goosing it, and the codes never flash and i never lose power. I'm on a tight budget and need this car fixed asap, it's my only vehicle. So far i've changed my oil, sprayed the air filter out with the air hose, took off my fuel filter and tried to clean it out, and that's about as much as i've done. I'm not sure what's wrong and not sure where to start. I don't want to start buying parts i don't need.

Also i'd like to add that when i took my fuel filter off the lines were clean, but the fuel filter itself had alot of black "gas" in it, and had i think it had some settlement aswell. I was saving all the gas in a bucket so i wouldn't lose it all, and it was all clear and good looking gas out of the lines, when i finally got the filter off i was walking over to the bucket, and i spilled a bit. It was dark and like midnight when it happened but i could still see the black in it. I dumped the remaining minute amount fuel into the bucket and i immediately saw how black it was, because it mixed with the clean fuel and still was quite black. I took a clean work rag, and sprayed air through the filter on one of the sides (it has 4 spots for fuel lines) and it basically painted the rag black, and the other side wouldn't even take air.

What should i do? I'm lost! I'm used to working on old muscle cars and things without all these sensors and electronics, this fuel filters even somewhat different. HELP!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 AM

97 S420
I would look into the MAF, Mass Airflow Sensor. It sounds like your mixture is being cut back when your air flow opens up to maximum flow. From others posting, it sounds like they tend to go bad after a while.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 AM

2000 e430 4matic
Would that throw any codes or have any way of telling me it's bad? I'm not getting any MAF codes. I was going to go to the auto parts store tomorrow and buy some MAF cleaner, Would that do the trick?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Get the OBD II codes
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM

'02 e430, '97 e320, '90 FJ63 Landcruiser, '83 Olds Regency Brougham
check the catalytic converters....
Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 AM

2000 e430 4matic
every time i check codes and clear it throws misfire codes and o2 sensor. i got a p0455 once in ahwile but it's only over an extended time and i doubt that's the problem, i'm gonna check my lines and swap around my gasket anyhow though. i tried dropping the exhaust earlier but it was pi**ing me off, i broke a few bolts with my pnuematic lol, my cat is messed up so that could be it, its not the maf, im getting no codes from it plus i cleaned it anyway
Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM

2000 e430 4matic
It was my rear cat, now i need a x pipe to put in or a replacement cat or something. I wanted to do an x pipe anyway, but I need to find one that i can put in without a whole lot of modification.