Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Tire Pressures - Where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Recommended Tire Pressures - Where?

Originally Posted by MBRedux
... use the tire pressure chart sticker inside the door jam... and these readings must be done when the tires are cold.
So here's my dilemma on my GLK's 20" AMG Wheels: Some people say the placard in the door jams vs. Other say in the fuel filler cap.

The 2011 Manual says on pg.266:
you will find a table of recommended tire pressures on the Tire and Loading information placard on the B Pillars on the Driver Side.
You will find a table of tire pressures for various operating conditions on the inside of your vehicle's fuel filler cap.

However, the info @ each location contradicts each other with:
the fuel cap saying:
33F/33R Normal Load
35F/39R Heavy Load

the door jams has 2 placards saying the same but without load suggestions:
35F/39R

See attached to see pictures in same order as describe above.
https://mbworld.org/forums/4899912-post15.html

What is the right PSI?

Last edited by MBNA109; 11-02-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 PM

Confusion 2

Originally Posted by allanX204
the fuel filler lid is for standard tires, generic listing,
Actually the exact statement in the manual on page 268 of the '11 manual is:
"The tire pressures in the tire pressure table on the inside of fuel filler flap are valid for all approved tires installed at the factory, unless stated otherwise."
"Tire pressure table for all approved tires installed at the factory"

Originally Posted by allanX204
the door jam (black label) shows the size of your cars tires and the required pressure (it even shows your VIN).
Actually the exact statement in the manual on page 266 of the '11 manual is:
"You will find a table of recommended tire pressures on the Tire and Loading information card on the B-Pillar on the driver's side (>Page 274). You will find a table of tire pressures for various operating conditions on the inside of your vehicle's fuel filler flap."

So last I knew my tires were installed @ the factory. While the second statement above say to look in both places.

I am still
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
If it's any consolation, my '96 SL600 has the same dilemma. I have always assumed it was one of those factory label / manual coordination issues. I follow the fuel filler door label, since it differentiates 'normal' and 'heavy' loads. Over the years, I have assumed the door pillar label was just the absolute maximum tire pressure under any condition; so I ignore it. In my SL, which I've owned for ~8 years, I've had very good tire tread wear using the 'normal' pressures listed on the fuel filler door as I have never had to haul anything heavy. Why would one want to in a top-down SL convertible?!? IMHO, follow the fuel filler door label. As for the manual entry, "... Tire pressure table for all approved tires installed at the factory", this can relate to any tire that is a factory-approved replacement. As long as the rims and replacement tires are MB-approved equivalents, then the fuel filler door label should be followed.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

For what it's worth, I have been following the gas filler door numbers in both Volvos since 1999. As MB-Dude (Howdy neighbor!) points out, the filler cap door has two sets of numbers for light and maximum load. That information is the most relevant to normal operation.
Given all of the typos & conflicting information in the manual, it is suspect at best.
When in boubt, 35psi works.

Wayne
Keeping a little spare air in all of his tires.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM

S500
Question being the 20" Amg wheels came as factory with the vehicle or was in upgrade?? You can not go by the label if it is telling you the pressure for tires if the car has its factory tires, I assume...

Also if you look at the tire very small small prints it will tell you the psi
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by envymesukas
Question being the 20" Amg wheels came as factory with the vehicle or was in upgrade?? You can not go by the label if it is telling you the pressure for tires if the car has its factory tires, I assume...

Also if you look at the tire very small small prints it will tell you the psi
What? 20" wheels, AMG or M-B, come as standard equipment from the factory. Unless a poster states otherwise. MNBA109's 20" AMG wheels are factory original. Less than a week old.

People, you're making a Himalayan Mountian out of a molehill. If you are really bothered about this and you won't believe folks who have been using the information on the fuel filler door (my wife even knows to use that info.), call MBUSA. Who knows, you might be more confused after speaking to them.

Wayne
35 psi or stay home.

Last edited by venchka; 11-03-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Since I am now convinced that no one really knows even after speaking to MBUSA this AM, I'll just avg it between 33 + 39 = 36 lower 1/2 lb for expansion. Walla ~Wayne's receive @ 35.5 psi.

Putting this to bed.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

I will ask Lisa when we take delivery of her new GLK350 4matic. She knows where to look!

I was right about MBUSA not helping.

Wayne
Occasionally smarter than the average bear.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM

S500
Lol you are right I overlooked thought he said clk..