Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side mirror housing removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw 550i
side mirror housing removal

hey guys and gals.

i've searched the forums and most of the diy's or how to's are for the older cars/mirrors. i'm looking for some help removing the housing on a 2010 e coupe, which seem to be the same mirrors as the c, e, ml, gl, rl classes, the square-ish mirror. i understand that i must take the mirror off to access the tension wire to be able to pull the housing off. my question is how do you take the mirror off the base plate. my old bmw, you would just pushed an edge in and then keep pressing till it "snapped" off. not sure it's the same for the mb, but was hoping i could get some help before i broke something . thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by calbear550
hey guys and gals.

i've searched the forums and most of the diy's or how to's are for the older cars/mirrors. i'm looking for some help removing the housing on a 2010 e coupe, which seem to be the same mirrors as the c, e, ml, gl, rl classes, the square-ish mirror. i understand that i must take the mirror off to access the tension wire to be able to pull the housing off. my question is how do you take the mirror off the base plate. my old bmw, you would just pushed an edge in and then keep pressing till it "snapped" off. not sure it's the same for the mb, but was hoping i could get some help before i broke something . thanks in advance.
First step is to remove mirror

Next after that you will find at the joint/base a silver plate about 1" wide. This plate is the lock clip that holds the outer mirror on. You will have to pull this clip and hold it then silde the outer mirror away from the door. Then it should come off. DO NOT REMOVE THE SPRING>> DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Once you get the outer cover off then you will have access to the mirror components.

My wife clipped a country mail box with pass side and I already did this job.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw 550i
thanks vettedvr. i actually saw a post where they showed the locking mechanism to remove the "outer mirror." but i do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

my question was how to remove the mirror itself. do i just pull it off with some force, or is there a mechanism i should be looking for behind the glass that will release it from the housing? thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by calbear550
how to remove the mirror itself. do i just pull it off with some force, or is there a mechanism i should be looking for behind the glass that will release it from the housing?
Tilt mirror upward, carefully unclip glass starting at bottom.