Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLS320 CDI 2006 hesitating and bucking when cold - please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS320 CDI
CLS320 CDI 2006 hesitating and bucking when cold - please help!

Hi Everyone,

I really need some advice here. We have only just bought the above car and it has been back with the dealer twice now, this time for 2 weeks!

The thing drives superbly most of the time, but when you have just started it up and ask for a bit of acceleration (nothing major, for example pulling out onto a busy road) it will hesitate and buck like mad for a few seconds. If you take your foot off the gas it will be fine again. I have seen it do this when the car has only being sat for 40 minutes, so the engine temp was 70 degrees.

If it doesn't do it in the first 5 minutes then it won't do it at all for that drive. Like I say the thing is in great nick other than this fault.

When we bought it we took it to Andy Gayle for a full service, it also had a full set of glow plugs and Andy diagnosed this fault as being the turbo controller. They called the dealer and advised then that the turbo itself was fine, but being as Merc only seel this as a whole unit they would be best to ship the controller off for refurb, which the dealer did direct and this seemed to fix it for a week.

Now the fault is back. My call would be that the controller fix hasn't held (being as it was fine when it was first done). The new garage the dealer has sent it to (has a STAR system but certainly not a main dealer...and not Andy Gayle) have changed an oxygen filter and are now running a software update (being at it 2 days!!) as they think this is the problem. I am not convinced.

This is really dragging on and I am getting annoyed at having paid for a car I can't drive. I have considered getting my money back, but we spent £680 on the service and tweaks at Andy Gayle when we bought it and the thing has a lovely interior and AMG styling, so we won't find another.

Any advice very gratefully received - I am getting very depressed with the whole affair. The dealer are trying their best but they are not mechanics and are limited to what their garage tell them.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM

e280 w211
Mine does the same I'm getting glow plug code and 02 sensor code. Did u get it fixed yet any help
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM

CLS320 CDI
Just heard from dealer. They had sent car to MB stourbridge who have diagnosed a fault with the swirl flaps in the manifold...basically they stick when cold. Hopefully this will sort it once and for all!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 AM

e280 w211
Let us know thanks. Did they say how much to fix
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM

CLS320 CDI
No cost given as the dealer is picking up the bill. I won't hear until Friday now...and may not get the car back until after my hols....10th Sept.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by lucy351132
Just heard from dealer. They had sent car to MB stourbridge who have diagnosed a fault with the swirl flaps in the manifold...basically they stick when cold. Hopefully this will sort it once and for all!
IMO; The intake air flaps are a constant common weak point on the CDI.

roy@pelicanparts.com

Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 AM

CLS320 CDI
One unhappy girl here. We called the dealer today to see how they were getting on and they said they were still waiting for parts. This seemed a bit odd to me so I remembered that they said the car was at MB Stourbridge and called them.

They told me that the dealer had taken the car back on Thursday as they had advised them that it need a whole brand new turbo and manifold! I called the dealer and told them that I knew exactly what was needed on the car and asked why they hadn't been honest with me.

They didn't really have an answer for that one.

I have told them that I am back from my holiday on 10th September and that I want my car back fully fixed with these new parts. I have told them that I will be having it inspected to check that the correct fixes ave been done. They agreed wholly that this was fine and they understood this. They didn't have much choice as they had one angry lady on the phone!

Once thing that annoyed me was that it seemed he was trying to pull the wool over ny eyes as when I asked him why he hadn't told me about these major fixes he said that I did know about the manifold; "as that is what the swirl flaps are". I said; "no, you did not tell me a whole new manifold was required".

I am worried now that they are going to try to patch this thing up long enough for me to go away and I am going to end up with a duff car.

Help again, please! How do I make sure it is ok when I get it back?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 AM

e280 w211
That's not good from the dealer point of view. But on the other hand at least u know what's needed. I'd they give u ur car back bring it for a good drive and see if it's still doing it. If not great bring to a macanic and ask him to check and see if it's had a new turbo and manifold. The dealer prob sent it to mb to find out what was wrong wit it and then they will prob source there Owen fix as mb would cost them a fortune on parts they are prob going to get the turbo reconditiond and manifold cleaned which would do me if my car was fixed but I would ask them
For a letter stating what has been done on the car and to give u extra warranty as there not new parts
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM

e280 w211
hi

hi any luck with the car
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

e280 w211
any look with the car