Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Question About Control Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Question About Control Arm Replacement

We took our 2007 ML350 into a non-dealer service center that specializes in imports for several service items to be completed: brakes, transmission flush, etc (totaling nearly $2,000). We keep this car in excellent physical and operational condition, and my wife (primary driver) is very careful on the road. After getting the car back, my wife noticed that when she applied the brake, there would often be a popping noise heard that seemed to come from somewhere under the passenger side of the hood. We took the car back to the service center to inspect. They are now telling us that the problem is an upper control arm that needs to be replaced on the passenger side. I thought it was odd that we didn't have this problem until we took the car to them the first time. They said that they did nothing with the suspension and therefore could not have caused the problem, and that it was likely a coincidence. Obviously, coincidences are always possible, but could this have been caused by someone carelessly lifting the vehicle and the suspension settling? They are saying that this is a common problem with Mercedes vehicles. Is that true? They are wanting to charge me $975 (inclusive of taxes and shop fees) to replace both upper control arms. Although only one is making a noise, they say the other one has some play in it and will inevitably start doing the same thing. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
IF the popping is the arm it can be it just failed. However make sure it is the arm popping.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They had my car for five days trying to diagnose the exact source and problem. They apparently used some kind of special listening or monitoring device that was attached to each control arm to diagnose. I called the local Mercedes dealership, and they are quoting me close to $1,300 for the same work, so I feel like this is a decent price. At this point, because I have left it to them to diagnose and they have had my car for so long trying to discover the exact source of the problem, I will not agree to have the work done unless they guarantee to fix at no additional cost to me if they are wrong.