Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 clk 200,auto,no accleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 clk 200
1998 clk 200,auto,no accleration

hi,new to the forum,i have a 1998 clk 200,auto,battery was dead a week ago,opened the trunk manually and jumped started the motor,since the jump start the battery has full voltage now and starts everytime, but the engine will only idle and hunt up and down from 1000 rpm to 1200 rpm,there is no responce from the throttle at all even when pushed too the floor,i have a snap-on scanner which will communicate with the gear box but not with the engine,i have checked all the fuses in the engine bay,drivers side dash and in the trunk,none blown.i also have cleaned the throttle pot with carb cleaner.i also have left the ign in the on position for 15 mins to no avail.the asr/bas light is on but was on before the dead battery issue,i do believe the ign was in the on position when th ejump leads were connected!Can anyone advise me on this issue please?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM

vw golf gttdi
hi dave,
first things first,its never a good idea to jump start a car as the sudden surge can create a 'spike' to the ecu(s).sometimes it cannot be helped so future reference..leave the key out of the eis then put the headlamps on and then jump start.
what snap on tool do you have?does it give option of 'obd direct'?ideally need to see if any codes are stored and possibly reset adapted values,failing that inspect live data inspecting air mass sensor.
but if all was ok before jump starting there is always the posibility of ecu damage.

could always try a hard reset,disconnect both battery leads and touch together.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM

1998 clk 200
hello indymerc,snap on scanner tool is about 10 year old but does have generic obd function,will check this out and try the reset,cheers.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM

1998 clk 200
well lads,have read faults with obd reader and there are none present,live data shows a static reading from air mass meter even with throttle full open,tried a new mass meter anyhow,but no difference,snap-0n tool has no adaption functions,also tried hard reset as suggested by indymerc,no joy,anyone else out there got any suggestions,getting a bit frustrated now!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM

vw golf gttdi
When you say you have checked all the fuses,have you removed the black lid where the engine ecu is located under the bonnet?4 Phillips screws and check the fuses In there?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM

1998 clk 200
yip,have checked these indymerc and all are ok even the big orange 40 amp,i was thinking replacing the throttle position sensor which is beside said fuse box with the ecu inside,as when i switch the ign on and off i can hear the throttle housing clicking and clucking like its finding its idle position,what you think?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by big dave 1
yip,have checked these indymerc and all are ok even the big orange 40 amp,i was thinking replacing the throttle position sensor which is beside said fuse box with the ecu inside,as when i switch the ign on and off i can hear the throttle housing clicking and clucking like its finding its idle position,what you think?
mb tech here. its possible its your throttle body itself. could of went. was going to say start with mass air flow sensor but you said you did. hard to say with no codes

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM

1998 clk 200
Well folks,i fitted a throttle body and still no responce from the throttle so i decided to bite the bullet and after advice from a dude who done it before, i bought a second hand ecu and lock set from an E200 of the same year,this was from a local breakers yard,fitted everything and up she started first time everything working perfect.the car now drives perfect.lesson learned be carefull when jump starting your car,thanks for your posts.