Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W203: Air conditioning stops when idling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
cvx

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 C200CDI
Unhappy W203: Air conditioning stops when idling

Hello

Been lurking here for a while and I couldn't find any help (or my searching skills suck) for these problems I've got on my 2001 W203 C200CDI

I did the resync thing by pushing the defrost + EC Rest and I have a broken motor(s) but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the following problems

1. A/C stops blowing cool air when waiting at the lights or when the car is idling. After ~1min of idling the heater starts to blow hot air, but resumes to blow cold when moving Previous owner had the condenser replaced + AC system recharged 1 month ago. The fan in the engine bay is working

2. Windscreen moists completely from inner side after ~1-2min when car is idling. It doesn't make any difference if A/C is on auto or off, or if i use windscreen defroster button. This happens in any weather condition. Everything clears once I start moving again. I checked floor mats and underneath them and everything seems dry.

3. No air coming to rear passengers from that vent behind the armrest and no air from under the seat vents. Motor broken, or maybe something to with those stepper motors and flaps?

Would appreciate any help for these problems and I'm glad to give more details if needed. Winter is approaching and it's very important to get my heater working properly (I live near the arctic circle)

Offtopic: So far this has been a very disappointing car after switching from my W202, already spent $1000 during this first month just to repairs and now I have these listed problems + whining blower motor ($700 dealer price) and stepper motors clicking
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
cvx

W203 C200CDI
up
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML320
Hi there! Just joined today. I was a Mercedes tech so I'm hoping I can help you. The 203 c class compressor never switches off believe it or not. What would be nice to know is if the a/c compressor was changed? They had a habit of breaking up causing metal files in the system. If a/c compressor wasn't replaced that may
Well be the problem, or it's possible the a/c system hasn't been flushed properly.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
cvx

W203 C200CDI
Thanks for joining and replying

I have no idea if the previous owner(s) had to change the compressor, the car has 230k on the clock now. Also interesting to know that the compressor stays on all the time. I think it was up to +5 or something. We have -35c regularly here

Can I check the condition of compressor by myself or I need to get the car hooked to Star?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
cvx

W203 C200CDI
up
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes C Class C200 CDI(W203)
Im facing a similar issue with my car aircon. Can you please let me know how did this finally get resolved, Thanks alot.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
cvx

W203 C200CDI
Bumping up my old thread since summer is here now and its hot

AC still does not work when idling, it will work just fine when driving. I found out that AC will turn on if I briefly pass ~3500rpm - back to idle while parked but will start to blow hot after a while.

-Star does not give any errors
-System has enough refrigerant
-Radiator fan works
-Core evaporator replaced last year
-All stepper motors/flaps are ok now

Any ideas (Glyn and other gurus)? With faulty compressor I wouldnt have any cooling I imagine.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 PM

mazda mx5
If refrigerator is ok then your ac compressor is no good ...
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM

2004 s430 4MATIC / 2008 C350
Hello...pretty much a newbie here. My 1998 E320's A/C started blowing hot last week. I had it "fixed" by a reputable MB shop (though not a licensed dealer) last year, but I have since moved out of state. I tried the cheap fix today with AC Pro. But, after reading the can, I'm realizing that the compressor isn't cycling off. When that happens, you are told to "Seek professional help". Coincidentally, this is driving me a bit crazy. Ideas? Suggestions? Cocktail recipes?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by wholehawg99
Hello...pretty much a newbie here. My 1998 E320's A/C started blowing hot last week. I had it "fixed" by a reputable MB shop (though not a licensed dealer) last year, but I have since moved out of state. I tried the cheap fix today with AC Pro. But, after reading the can, I'm realizing that the compressor isn't cycling off. When that happens, you are told to "Seek professional help". Coincidentally, this is driving me a bit crazy. Ideas? Suggestions? Cocktail recipes?
My wife loves a Harry's Pick-Me-Up
Shake over ice:
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 T grenadine
1 oz. brandy (spring for cognac, it'll set you back way less than the A/C)
strain into martini glass
top with champagne (dry white wine works ok too).

A few of these and your woman won't mind the coin that the dealer will charge for a new compressor.