Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C Class (203) Tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 MB 500 SEL
Post C Class (203) Tip

For those of you that do your own oil changes on your new 203 body C classes, here is a tip that should help you out. When you do your oil change and complete it, you must all know these days that there isn't a "dip-stick" to check your oil. So you have a few options. One buy the MB tool for measuring it (why bother right?) go by the lame IC ready of O.K. or what have you. OR check this out.

Key in Position 1 press and hold the left cluster knob for approx. 20 secs (until you hear a beep)

Turn key to position 2 and hit the PAGE down key on the steering wheel. (don't mistake this for the arrow down key) depending on where you where at when you started, you may have to hit page down a few times to bring up the correct "test mode" of the IC.

You will know it when you see it, it will have software version etc.. it will also have an accurate measuring reading of the oil in the crankcase. Make sure you run the car and get it hot, then let it sit for a few minutes (yes you may start the car with this screen on) After sitting on level ground for a few minutes you want of reading of about 7.3-7.5 if you are under/over this may trigger a low/high oil light on.

Hope this little tip helps you guys out.

-Mac
Old 03-08-2002, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will this work on the C-coupe also?
Old 03-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Great tip MAC ! Keep 'em comming !
Old 03-09-2002, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
very useful...

Thanks for the tip.. Im gonna try it now.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:46 AM

2004 CLK 320 Convertible
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Lynn
Will this work on the C-coupe also?
Yes, this does work.
However, the baseline number appears to be different for the coupe.
Mine runs at 6.2 with engine off.
Try running the engine with this on if you're interested in oil level changes on a running engine.

FYI, first post here so please pardon any clumsy formatting.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:22 AM

1985 MB 500 SEL
Glad it was helpful

This tip was given to me by one of our MB service reps and it is "classified" information.

As for the coupe, I personally never tried it in a coupe, but I think someone posted a reply stating it will. It should, same IC.

As for the levels. The 7.3-7.5 is correct when hot and been sitting a few. This translates to about 8 quarts of oil during an oil & filter change. This is for the US C240 and C320s. Again Both are the same. I don't know at what points it will cause a low oil level warning or high oil warning. But if you play around and happen to get one you will be able to note the reading at that time. But our rep told us to stick with those numbers.

It is neat to see how the motor sees oil levels during a road test.

-Mac
Old 03-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Almost a Member!

clk430conv
Lightbulb Will this work for the clk conv with comand?? What is the cluster knob?

Old 03-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Clarifying question...

I tried this procedure. It works great. However, the readout on my C320 (2001) says:

OIL LEV.: 7.5 qts. (i.e. it actually says the unit of measure)

By quarts, I assume they mean "imperial" quarts, hence the conversion to 8 quarts actual, right?

BTW, you can start the engine in this mode and watch the level drop from 7.5 to 6.5, which makes sense. However, starting the engine in this mode appears to reset the car's main TRIP odometer to ZERO. No biggie, I guess.

P.S. This won't work on the CLK, Bob... The existance of Comand has nothing to do with this feature, which I understand is W203 FSS derived, only. This procedure is the same as for the "smokey burnouts for W203 owner's" thread some months ago. At that time, it was determined that it didn't work for CLK systems, so it shouldn't apply in this instance, either. (Time to consider upgrading to the new CLK, which will likely have it, along with a modern rack and pinion steering system.)

Last edited by MB-BOB; 03-14-2002 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

C230
Oil level and additional screen

I tried this, and it does work; however, I have a few questions. Foremost, this screen is telling me I have 6.5 quarts--low for a '02 C230, but the oil level check states the level is fine. Additionally, if you hit the up arrow in this section another options window appears. I forgot the title, but it seems like some sort of diag. screen. Has anyone tried this.
Any way, back to the oil. With conflicting information, what is the best one to use. Should I add more oil to get the easter egg screen to the 7.5; check the dipstick; or simply go by the computer check screen.

Regards,
John Cappuccilli

'02 230 Black/Black
Tele-Aid
6 disk cd
Add on C7 wheels

Future:
Pulley system
some sort of shift kit
upgraded speakers--when and if possible
Old 04-13-2002, 12:25 AM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
The computer does not take into account the quart (approx) of oil in the filter. So 6.5 is just about right.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Almost a Member!

C230
C Class tip

Tanks Red! I thought about that, but I figured the oil would drain out of the filter due to its placement. Its great having the computer, but I still wish I could use the dipstick to check. I was also wondering how much tolerance the computer has with the level. That being, how much is to much and vice versa. Does anyone have any information on this. I will say one thing, changing the oil on the C230 is the easiest oil change I ever did. Not a single drop of oil on the tarmac. The topsider is awesome! Has anyone changed any other fluids using the topsider. I would like to change out other fluids. I want to switch to Vavoline Syn for all my fluids.

John Cappuccilli