Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper motor crapped out during rain storm !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Wiper motor crapped out during rain storm !!!

Talk about a nightmare, my wiper stopped working in the middle of that east coast rain storm yesterday...

It gave no warning it was going to fail (no slow down, hang ups, etc). Now, when I turn on the wiper, all I hear is a hum, of course the blade doesn't move.

I guessing the motor died. I've got the starmark, I would think this is covered.

Has this happened to anyone here and is this a common problem with MB's single blade design (granted it lasted 5 years, but still) ?

(Car = 1998 C280 Sport)
Old 11-29-2003, 03:07 PM

MB G500
Well, it wasn't during a rainstorm, nor was it an MB; however, the passenger wiper crapped out on me during a blizzard on the highway. I still had about 50 miles to go, so luckily it wasn't the driver side wiper. At any rate, a wiper going out under bad conditions is seriously dangerous! Maybe that's why MB stopped making cars with the one blade design.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:55 PM

C280
Originally posted by lesterm
Well, it wasn't during a rainstorm, nor was it an MB; however, the passenger wiper crapped out on me during a blizzard on the highway. I still had about 50 miles to go, so luckily it wasn't the driver side wiper. At any rate, a wiper going out under bad conditions is seriously dangerous! Maybe that's why MB stopped making cars with the one blade design.
Man, after what happened to me, I think/wish wipers had some type of backup motor, maybe some way to keep some visibility to get you off the road safely or even get you home.

I wish I had rain-x on my window, that would have helped a little.

I just read in one of my old magazines about buying a used MB (C-class), they mentioned checking out the wiper motor.

I think under the single wiper design, there is too much stress on the one motor, but hey, it looks cool.

So, on all the newer models MB has switched back to twin wipers ?

Last edited by C280Sportster; 11-29-2003 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:28 PM

MB G500
I think the newer models have the twin wipers; however, I really don't know. My car has the two, but I think the G-wag has always had two wipers on it.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:44 PM

C280
Originally posted by lesterm
I think the newer models have the twin wipers; however, I really don't know. My car has the two, but I think the G-wag has always had two wipers on it.
Anyone else have wiper problems ?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
sometimes my wiper will act up and be real sluggish at going across the windshield...I think it needs to be lubricated. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?

-G-
Old 12-05-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lubricate wiper

Hello,

you should lubricate the metal part of the wiper arm with some oil(be careful not to put any on tho the windshield). Turn on the wiper and stop it by taking out the key when it is in the straight upright position in the middle of the windshield. Then, remove the cover with the hinges at the bottom of the wiper arm. You will the see a metal piece. Lubricate this with oil and let the wiper run a few times. The remove the excess oil. Doing this once a year will keep the wiper running well. Using this method, mine has been doing so for 12 years.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Lubricate wiper

Originally posted by Frank Wiesmann
Hello,

you should lubricate the metal part of the wiper arm with some oil(be careful not to put any on tho the windshield). Turn on the wiper and stop it by taking out the key when it is in the straight upright position in the middle of the windshield. Then, remove the cover with the hinges at the bottom of the wiper arm. You will the see a metal piece. Lubricate this with oil and let the wiper run a few times. The remove the excess oil. Doing this once a year will keep the wiper running well. Using this method, mine has been doing so for 12 years.
What kind of oil? Like oil to lubricate bike chains, stuck bolts, hinges, etc? Thanks man.

-G-
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 AM

Oil

Yes, anything like that. You can also use motor oil. Make sure you do not put on too much and let the wiper run a few times after you are don to make sure the oil gets everywhere.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
yep, i took of that little hinged cover and saw the arm. Put some drops of oil, let u run and it works like brand new thanks man for your advice.

-G-
Old 12-08-2003, 10:20 AM

Wiper revival

Hi again,

glad to hear that my tip worked for you and that I was able to help out. Enjoy the rain!