Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S430 Right Headlight Color Difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S430 4MATIC Sport, 2009 GT Zaskar MTB
2005 S430 Right Headlight Color Difference

I have a 2005 S430 and recently replaced my HID bulbs for OSRAM Cool Blue Intense. Unfortunately my right headlight does not reproduce the 5000K+ color temperature. It looks just like OEM Stock bulb. I already replaced another Osram bulb, but that did not resolve the issue. The beam has also a very weird pattern with yellow to green hot spot. Does anyone here have similar issue?

Right Headlight Beam
Attached Thumbnails 2005 S430 Right Headlight Color Difference-20140522_164206.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by legatolimo
I have a 2005 S430 and recently replaced my HID bulbs for OSRAM Cool Blue Intense. Unfortunately my right headlight does not reproduce the 5000K+ color temperature. It looks just like OEM Stock bulb. I already replaced another Osram bulb, but that did not resolve the issue. The beam has also a very weird pattern with yellow to green hot spot. Does anyone here have similar issue?

Right Headlight Beam

I think it has more to do with the projector than the bulb causing the colored spot. I notice that with my factory Bi-Xenon using D1S Osrams. I think the MB projector is not as sharp and focused as some of the high-end Morimoto projectors out there. In my case I can't change the projector as the MB projectors have the motorized follow feature which points in the direction of your steering (which I like) You should also change both bulbs at the same time because the age of the bulb will affect the color and most Osram's require a burn-in period. For more info visit theretrofitsource.com They are quite good IMHO
Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Yeah I heard about the projectors not being great. The bulbs were changed at the same time. I see guys are doing all kinds of retrofitting out there, unfortunately I just don't want to pull the headlights apart. Too much work. I may just buy brand new headlights down the road.

Any possibility something moved inside the projector?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM

2011 E350 Cabriolet
Yeah I heard about the projectors not being great. The bulbs were changed at the same time. I see guys are doing all kinds of retrofitting out there, unfortunately I just don't want to pull the headlights apart. Too much work. I may just buy brand new headlights down the road.

Any possibility something moved inside the projector?

I don't think so as your pattern looks pretty much like mine: 2011 E350 Cabo with P2 Bi-Xenon lighting package (retrofitted). Not sure if the pattern has to be razor sharp but there are aficionados that really like that. I prefer a real factory option with a code 615 on my datacard!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hillcreative
I don't think so as your pattern looks pretty much like mine: 2011 E350 Cabo with P2 Bi-Xenon lighting package (retrofitted). Not sure if the pattern has to be razor sharp but there are aficionados that really like that. I prefer a real factory option with a code 615 on my datacard!
How about the color difference between the headlights. Right one is just like 4300K yellowish color even though there is a Cool Blue Intense bulb. That is what bothers me the most. I could live with the beam pattern. Take a look at the video of my HID's.

Last edited by legatolimo; 07-12-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM

2011 E350 Cabriolet
Yes your video clearly shows a lower color temperature on the right headlight. I would check with whomever you purchased the bulbs from, there are a lot of bootleg Osram bulbs kicking around from China. If you purchased them over EBAY be suspect. I purchased my bulbs from theretrofitsource.com which is a legit dealer that would never let that happen. I have also found that the Osram D1S bulbs from Japan to be of better quality.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Yes your video clearly shows a lower color temperature on the right headlight. I would check with whomever you purchased the bulbs from, there are a lot of bootleg Osram bulbs kicking around from China. If you purchased them over EBAY be suspect. I purchased my bulbs from theretrofitsource.com which is a legit dealer that would never let that happen. I have also found that the Osram D1S bulbs from Japan to be of better quality.
Yeah it's definitely noticeable. I purchased from Motive Mods and they are Original Made in Germany. They also provided me with replacement one to see if it is the bulb, but no success. It has to be something in the projector I suspect. My only solution is to go with Stock bulbs so the difference isn't that visible or get some yellow ones. Lol.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM

2011 E350 Cabriolet
Yeah it's definitely noticeable. I purchased from Motive Mods and they are Original Made in Germany. They also provided me with replacement one to see if it is the bulb, but no success. It has to be something in the projector I suspect. My only solution is to go with Stock bulbs so the difference isn't that visible or get some yellow ones. Lol.

Dumb question but are we talking Xenon bulbs here or Halogen?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Dumb question but are we talking Xenon bulbs here or Halogen?
Yes. Bi-Xenon Headlights.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:53 PM

This is my left beam and shot of both headlights to show the color difference.

Left Headlight Beam

Both Headlights