Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selecting a Star Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Selecting a Star Diagnostic Tool

Greetings

I am looking for specific information on what to look for when purchasing a Star or "Star like" diagnostic tool. I see many types online, most from China, some with computers, some with just an SSD drive and others with the multiplexer and assorted cables and various flavors of software.

I require a tool that will allow access to all system information/data for diagnostic/error purposes as well as the ability to program/upgrade firmware and software, adjust mechanical set points, program the cpu for the installation of new equipment such as new keys, ignitions, control units, etc.

Any suggestions from those of you who have had experience with researching, using and purchasing these tools would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 CL600
I'd like to hear opinions on this too...
Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Ml350 bluetec
me three
Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X5
In Chinese market, MB SD C4 is the most hot now, works with old and new Mercedes Benz, support UDS protocol chip, eading out & erasing trouble code,reading the real-time data of sensor and actuator, coding and programming.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:54 PM

vv

Last edited by markland556; 01-21-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250 2012, C200 2012
Star diagnostic SD Connect clone using experience, see
http://www.evilution.co.uk/info/buying_mb_star.htm
Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ford pinto
Originally Posted by markland556
I can help you out with getting a Star Diagnostic system. PM me for details and prices.

I have a lot of experience with setting up these systems.
The C4 (SD Connect) units are nice because of the LAN cable connecting the unit to the laptop, but as with any chinese electronics there seem to be more problems with these units.

I do prefer the C3 units just because they seem to hold up much better than the C4's. The only downside to the C3 is the requirement of a serial port on the laptop and the big bulky cable that goes from the head to the laptop.

Software:
Many of the chinese setups you see that sell you a hard drive and "will work with any laptop" are just VM ware installations. Basically a virtual windows setup.. There is no reason to go this route, they are prone to crashing and much slower than native (software installed strait into windows) setups.
There are many different versions of the Star software and each have their up's and downs. You can get the 2014 software that will work with cars just being pulled off the ships. But most people wont be working on the latest cars so I always suggest older versions from 2010 to 2012. As the software keeps being updated by mercedes they remove more and more features limiting what you can do as far as basic programming goes as well as other small things here and there..

You wont be able to SCN code control units with one of these setups. Mercedes has everything setup to connect to their internet databases for verification to do SCN coding and requires a license you need to purchase.. It is technically possible to do, but for most independent shops its not worth the cost. Basic coding/programming of control units can be done with these systems, but like I said you cant do everything..

Of coarse these systems do all your basic reading erasing of codes, they have guided troubleshooting in them as well. You can actuate components and read data outputs.

Im sure you get the picture by now.. These can be setup on pretty much any laptop you want with some limitations. SSD drives or just normal hard drives.. makes no difference when you are doing everything from scratch like I do..

If your interested in purchasing a system feel free to PM me. I can answer any questions you might have and we can figure out exactly what kind of setup you want. I also provide a 1 year warranty on all my systems, which is something you dont really get when your faced with shipping a package back to china and hoping that all works out.
still available?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 PM

no sorry. Due to copyright infringements I have decided to stay far far away from any mercedes related software. Not worth the hassle.