Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conductor plate, "Genuine" or reworked? 722.6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
C230 - did you throw a code leading you to suspect the conductor plate?

The P0715 code came back on my '03 again and I noticed a few more weird shifting things going on beforehand - some rough shifts and things like trying to go up an incline seemed like a manual transmission clutch slipping. When I came home from work the day before yesterday I put it in reverse to back into the driveway and nothing... Was giving it gas but it was like it was in neutral. Then I put it in drive and the same - nothing, just revving like it was in neutral. I was definitely worried being in the middle of the street and not being able to move the car. I shut it off then started it up again and all systems normal.

I did check the tranny computer under the passenger floorboard and there is no sign of oil on the wires. I think I'll take a chance on driving it around a little bit to check the tranny fluid level again too, even though I don't see any leaks.

Looks like I'm going to order one of the conductor plate transmission service kits from Kyle unless anyone has any other ideas on what it might be?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did check the fluid last night after driving around for a while and it's exactly where it should be on the stick.

C230 - I asked above about a code leading you to suspect the conductor plate... or did you throw a code leading you to believe it was the shifter electronics? The gearshift surround tabs have been broken for some time and I'm wondering if some dirt/gunk might have gotten in there causing some problems...
Old 07-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup
It's easy to see how clean these are vs. the one I had.
Also the copper is so clean shiny and new, ah so pretty.

I ended up replacing the shifter, finally was able to get the correct one from picknpull, and my trans issues are over for now.
I did buy a filter gasket and fluid, and
honestly I have to wonder if I should mess with the conductor plate, since I'm not having any issues related to it.
If it's not broke leave well alone!
Old 07-16-2016, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Glyn! Question for you: If the conductor plate is indeed the problem I'm having and I were to replace it myself, would I be good to go? Or does it need programming after replacing?

I'm 2 hours away from the nearest MB dealer or indy shop...

Edit: after more searching/reading, I'm wondering if the tranny computer really needs to be 'reprogrammed', or if you simply need a scanner capable of getting into the tranny computer to clear the code(s) there so they don't pop up again?

Last edited by mtnman82; 07-17-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
It should work ok just by installing. If you are only having conductor plate problems, they will go away and the car should be normal. There may be codes stored unless you clear them but it will not affect operation of the car. There's no "programming" for the older conductor plates, the newer trans where it's integral with the valve body yes, but on the earlier cars like ours it's just a pair of speed sensors and some circuitry, not the TCM itself.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmmm, I think I just f'd myself... I blew out around the shifter with some compressed air and the check engine light went away and it seemed to be shifting OK. Then all of a sudden a hard shift, check engine light came back on, and now it's stuck in 2nd gear. I tried clearing/erasing the code which didn't work and also tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes which also didn't work. Does this mean I know indeed DO have to take it to a shop which can clear the tranny codes?
Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I got the parts but chickened out on doing this one myself. I was afraid I would still have to clear some transmission codes after I replaced the conductor plate with it being locked in 2nd gear. It also would start to limit the engine rpm's to 3000rpm after I drove for a few miles. I talked to a transmission shop with excellent reputation who turned out to be familiar with the 722.6, leaky connector adapters and replacing conductor plates. He told me if I wanted to replace it myself I should do it and that the codes and all the weird driving behavior would clear itself with the new conductor plate. I wound up just having him do it - dropped the car off at lunchtime and he called me before quitting time that it was done. I had just changed the oil/filter/connector adapter at Christmas, but nevertheless bought the kit with the conductor plate and new fluid/filter/connector adapter/pan gasket/etc. so all that was replaced. Drives great. Looks like all they did was have the battery disconnected while they did the job and no codes.