Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission: replace or repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E320

Need some opinions.
First the background:

1998 E320 w/ 65,000 miles. Took it to the dealer for service. After a test drive, the service rep said the transmission was flaring between 2nd & 3rd gear under moderate to heavy acceleration.

Until he pointed it out, I did not notice. It runs smooth, like a dream. The service rep also said it was hardly noticable. Drained the pan, fluid was dark with sludge in the plan. No loose parts.

Here's the question: Dealer wants $5,500 to replace the transmission & torque converter with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

My aftermarket extended warranty company, on the other hand, wants to pay considerably less toward the replacement -- still waiting for the number -- or ship my mechanic a transmission, probably a junk yard unit, that has 1 year, 12,000 warranty.

I've since sought out an independent transmission shop. Long time in the business, no lawsuit or consumer complaints, etc. The old guy offered to work with the warranty company, fix-rebuild my current transmission and reinstall at no out of pocket expense. He also offers a 2 years unlimited mileage warranty.

I'm leaning toward the independent. Then again, a new MB certified tranny would be nice, considering I plan to keep the car for the long-run, assuming it doesn't crap out (knock on wood).

What to do???
Old 03-25-2004, 12:19 AM

drive it until it quits, then have the independent repair it.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Rebuilt transmission

Get a factory authorized remanufactered (rebuilt) transmission, new torque converter and have the oil lines to the cooler flushed out.

Rebuilt transmissions can be better than original. Just make sure whoever rebuilds it, is reputable and also install it (warranty should cover install also).

If the dealer is unreasonable, then go to an independant shop., that know benz.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:26 PM

C32AMG
Just out of curiosity,

had the gearbox ever been serviced (ie: fluid & filter changed) prior to the dealer draining the darkened ATF?.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:38 PM

98 E320
I've decided to go to an independent. Found to nice older gentlemen, both European, who run what appears to be part of the dying breed of tranny repair shops. They showed me around the shop, were helpful in explaining how tranny's work. (They insist MB sucks since 1996; they say buy Lexus.) They've been in a high rent district of Englewood, NJ, for 25 years; ran Nexis-Lexis check, no lawsuits, BBB complaints or anything else to indicate they're bad news.

The guys said they would work with the warranty company, and simply repair or rebuild the existing unit at no expense to me. They said it was probably unnecessary to replace because, at first blush, the flair is so slight.

About the gear box.... Yes, it was drained, but no filter change, when I purchased the car 26 months ago. At that time, if memory serves me well, the tech said the fluid looked a little dark.

Last edited by Fathead; 03-25-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:51 PM

98 E320
Update: Dealer attempted to rook me.

The independent tranny guys kept the car for two days. Drove it like hell.

They gave me the keys back; they say its operating perfectly.

The dealer tried to take me off. Bad mistake!!!

I'm the senior business writer at a major metropolitan newspaper.

I sent a telegram to MBUSA's regional service vp; we have a telephone appointment later this week. There's a full spread of letters in route to the service writer, the service manager, the owner of the dealership, a consumer advocate, state consumer affairs examiners, bbbureau and various friends in television news, etc.

I intend to use all the resources available to me to be sure this dealer does not -- repeat, never again -- attempts this nonsense.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I'd go with the Mercedes reman transmission. In the long run, it's a better idea to just get a whole new trans than have somebody who doesn't know what they are doing take it apart and maybe make a mistake somewhere. At least with the new trans, you get a warranty.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:00 PM

1997 C230

When the transmission on my 97 C230 (92,000 miles on the clock) locked in first gear I contacted a local independent service who delt with my aftermarket warranty company. I was given the option to have them take it to a national chain transmission shop (who I knew had rebuilt transmissions for three of my friends). The bottom line was that they "rebuilt" my transmission, applied an "outstanding service bulletin" and gave me a full parts / labor warranty on the work. The transmission shift smoother than when the car was new, and I'd only paid a small ductable. The confidence factor in having a nationwide company backing the warranty was a big part of my decisions to handle it this way.

Don
Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 PM

98 E320
I've decided to leave it as is for now.

Both the independent transmission shop, and my extremely reliable independent German car mechanic, all say the car is functioning perfectly. They believe the dealer is trying to rip me.

My extended warranty lasts for another 24 months. The company will not pay for a rebuild or replacement without a tear down to identify the specific defect. Benz refuses to do it and the independent does not believe its necessary.

So, therefore, I'll drive it. I've got 24 month for something to go wrong. If yes, great, I've got coverage.

If it breaks after the warranty expires, then I'll consider rebuild or replacement.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Almost a Member!

97 e420, 81 240d, 87 190-16v, Dodge Cummins Diesel
I had the exact same diagnosis from the dealer in the Seattle area. The service writer was a jerk, he over exagerated the techs report. Bottom line, change the tranny fluid every 50k. I took mine out at 90k, it was pretty grungy but shifted better after. I beleive the dealers and the service intervals specified by Mercerdes just invite problems in the hope that you will buy a new car before the warranty expires.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 AM

98 E320
mb-mopar nut --

I did just that, changed the fluid and kept driving. The $5,500 the dealer wants will stay in my pocket until there's a noticable problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM

Hi
I have a 99 CLK 430 and having some transmission issues , it seems like fluid is low or something, dealer chrged me 200.00 to tell me it could be an internal problem no error codes found and everything is within spec according to benz dealer, I went to a second independent shop repair that specializes in european cars and he charged me 46.00 dollars to tell me that is hard to tell that it could be an internal problem, i then went to a third transmission place that is all the do, they could not even find how to check the fluid on the transmission.

the cars has flares every now and then and a "claunking" sound when rolling to a stop not stopping and accelerating and then sometimes when coming to a stop when the tranny downshift i can hears a similar noise sometimes louder than others in both instances. i live in olympia, wa and i'm in the military )meaning i do not have deep pockets) the dealer wants 4,800 for a new tranny and module the europena place wants 4100 and said nothing about the module and the transmission only shop is clueless. can anyone share any ideas , thanks.