Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid check , How to?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission fluid check , How to?

Does anyones knows how to check the transmission fluid in a 99 CLK 430, thanks

I have a 99 CLK 430 and having some transmission issues , it seems like fluid is low or something, dealer chrged me 200.00 to tell me it could be an internal problem no error codes found and everything is within spec according to benz dealer, I went to a second independent shop repair that specializes in european cars and he charged me 46.00 dollars to tell me that is hard to tell that it could be an internal problem, i then went to a third transmission place that is all the do, they could not even find how to check the fluid on the transmission.

the cars has flares every now and then and a "claunking" sound when rolling to a stop not stopping and accelerating and then sometimes when coming to a stop when the tranny downshift i can hears a similar noise sometimes louder than others in both instances. i live in olympia, wa and i'm in the military )meaning i do not have deep pockets) the dealer wants 4,800 for a new tranny and module the europena place wants 4100 and said nothing about the module and the transmission only shop is clueless. can anyone share any ideas , thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 PM

here we go again. NOT TO FLAME, BUT
have you checked your owners manual?????
Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
You could buy a CD:

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/c209.htm

It may possibly be the lockup clutch in the torque converter.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Your Mercedes has a SEALED transmission ...
You Will need a Mercedes benz Factory workshop tool to check the transmission fluid level.....
Its a piece of cable with a handle...also a replacement fill tube cap tamper proof plug

Might want to have the Transmission Fluid changed..with the filter
You can Inspect the trans pan when off...for clutch material on the bottom
Old 04-08-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
I bought the so called "Tool" for my previous 99 E430. Tool was worth while. Like Mark says, you will not be able to check it without the tool. All you have is cap on the tube in the vehicle. The "Tool" was about #28.00 for factory original with MB part and sticker on it.

Randy
Old 04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
i had a tech show me how to take it off with a screw driver. dont remember how off hand but i could remember if i had to
Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Thnaks for the replies,
I do have the owners manual, but it says that checking fluid is not neccesary, I found where that special tool goes in, and also that it takes 9.6qts to fill it up.

Can I drained transmission, change filter and refill through where the special tool goes in using 9.6 qts???? i would luike to try this and see if it aliviates the problem, thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
When I did mine, I completely flushed it first through the cooler lines up front. After seeing all 13 plus quarts completely be replaced in the sight glass on the flush machine, I drained the ATF from the pan and saved it. I then changed the filter and gasket. Then I sent the new fliud back in through the dipstick tube under the hood. Measured with the tool and never looked back.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 PM

Randy

I will defenitely give that a try , I don't know where to get the stuff to flush it, but i want try everything i can before giving 4k+ to have it replace.

Don't want this to start anything but the Mercedes dealer wasn't to clear on their diagnostic, they said that no error codes were found, that everything was within specs and fluid was at correct level, finally they said that "it could be an internal problem" but couldn't tell for sure.

I can't afford that kind of money on something that could or could not be the problem.

I will try the fluid change and take it form there thanks for all the great info.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
No, no no. When I said flush I meant replaced with MB actual Fluid. Just the full 13 plus quarts. When you use a flush machine you actually get all the fluid out from the Torque Converter as well ast he sump and valvetrain. No extra additives. That's why I saved the fluid after the flush. because it is still good new fluid. No need to waste another 9 plus quarts.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Ahhh, got you ok i get it thanks. The local dealer should have the gasket, filter and fluid in stock will give a try and see once again thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 10:20 AM

1999 E320 4matic
Originally posted by Randy B
When I did mine, I completely flushed it first through the cooler lines up front. After seeing all 13 plus quarts completely be replaced in the sight glass on the flush machine, I drained the ATF from the pan and saved it. I then changed the filter and gasket. Then I sent the new fliud back in through the dipstick tube under the hood. Measured with the tool and never looked back.
Excuse my ignorance but Did a normal flush and fill place do it with dex III or did you have someone take out the dexron fluid and flush with the special MB fluid??
If so what kinda place would do this or would I have to go to an mb dealer for this service

Last edited by Kswebb1; 04-11-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:36 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
No excuses necessary. I used MB Life fluid, because nothing else is approved according to MB. That is why after I flushed it with the new stuff, I saved the clean fluid and reused it to fill after the filter and gasket change. I hope you follow.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:28 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
I'm a little slow this afternoon....

No excuses necessary. I used MB Life fluid, because nothing else is approved according to MB. That is why after I flushed it with the new stuff, I saved the clean fluid and reused it to fill after the filter and gasket change. I hope you follow.
If I understand you, you flush out your old MB ATF with new MB ATF, then save the old and new fluid to re-use it on the next flush? If you use the new MB ATF to push out the old ATF, what do you save for re-using? Dosn't the new and old ATF mix?

What do I not understand?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:33 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
No, the old goes out through the Trans cooler line, and the new goes in through the flip side. You have to see the flush machine to understand it, two separate tanks with a sight glass on what comes in, so you can see the dirty dark fluid turn bright cherry red.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:19 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
That makes more sense...

No, the old goes out through the Trans cooler line, and the new goes in through the flip side. You have to see the flush machine to understand it, two separate tanks with a sight glass on what comes in, so you can see the dirty dark fluid turn bright cherry red.
My MB Service Manager reccomended against changing the lifetime MB ATF as he said ATF coming out of a AT with 100,000 miles looks brand new. From what you said, the lifetime ATF dosn't look "brand new."
Old 04-11-2004, 10:02 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Get the tool, and look at the color and smell comapred to new. Quite different. And for peace of mind at 60K, the $90.00 it cost for everything, fluid and filter, gasket, it was worth it to me. I will do the same when I get to 60K on this 03 I have.,
Old 04-13-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
A lot of manufacturers use those trans fluid flush machines (Toyota, Ford, MB). Even Pep Boys has one.

The benefit of the fluid flush is getting rid of almost ALL the old fluid, but it does not get rid of the sediment in the oil pan. It also, does not clean the oil filter (Toyota just uses a screen).

The prices on a flush vary widely,

Ford $90
Toyota $120
Pepboys $199

Mostly depends on what the traffic will bear.

Historically, trans fluid should be changed every 30k miles.