Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Bleeding

I am going to track my car (only once) but I want to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid with Castrol SRF. Any things to look our for or gotcha's or is it straight forward like usual?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You may not be able to bleed the brakes in the normal way. I believe the laptop computer is needed to open the two valves leading to the rear calipers. Mercedes' official word is that bleeding requires the computer to activate the charge pump, pressure at the bleeder valves exceeds 1400 psi during bleeding, the process may take 1 1/2 hours and use 1.5 liters of brake fluid.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Got to love how Mercedes is protecting their service interests by making everything need DAS to finish anything.

Is this becuase of SBC ? Or is this the same with all current production MB's ?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 AM

I talked with Dr, Chill and he confirmed that it is not an easy thing to do. So, I plan to hit the track compeltely stock except for the driver snorkel and air filter. Yes, I'll be watching my tires and brake temps carefully.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont know much about racing or the requirments, so what is a driver snorkel/filter. Is that a snorkel for the engine or for you, and same for the filter?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:00 AM

Sorry twin turbo. The driver side air inlet tube has a signficant restriction that you can eliminate with a $10 part order change: engine breathing, not mine.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by awiner
Got to love how Mercedes is protecting their service interests by making everything need DAS to finish anything.

Is this becuase of SBC ? Or is this the same with all current production MB's ?
This only applies to SBC cars. Other MB's are still normal. It shoulnd't be necessary to use high performance brake fluid though, as SBC will compensate for any increase in brake fluid temperature.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks colourchange.

I would still use a good quality brake fluid as i remember someone with an SL55 said that when he was racing a warning light went on saying that the brakes were overheating or something, but I think he said he did not feel any difference and he kept going and it went away. Might have to do a search. Also, I think that the brake fluid can compress more in poor quality fluids, and hence the brakes will be more spongy. I know SBC change things, but I think its worth paying a bit more for a high quality fluid.

You need to be aware however, that there are two different types fo fluid. You need to look at the dot rating, as there are a few different types and you cannot mix them, you even need to do a complete flush and clean of the old fluid to replace with the other.