Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall is strange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164
Cylinder wall is strange

Hello guys

I have an M272 E35. No oil consumption, no knocking. Today I was changing spark plugs and decided to look into the cylinders. Holy moley. I dont know what it is but this is scary. It has size maybe 0.5-1cm and it goes all around the cylinder at the distance ~1.5cm from the edge of cylinder head. This thing at least in two cylinders. Is this really, like REALLY bad? What is this and what could cause this?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the W164.

What engine number do you have? If you post your VIN, we can help with this.

Have a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M272_engine

The above does not mention cylinder defects, but gives you a place to start from for additional research.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...l-scoring.html

The above mentions wrist pins and rod bearings. Not sure if this is your situation. The photos you post look like detonation or erosion happening during combustion. The reason I say this is because of the dotted appearance and location near TDC.

How long have you owned this vehicle? What is its history in terms of maintenance and fuel usage? Do you use ethanol fuels? Are you in a region (for example the midwest/breadbasket of the US) where ethanol fuels are widely available?

I live in Indiana, surrounded by corn fields and corn processing facilities. This means, unfortunately, that the local economy is partially benefited by ethanol fuel sales. I need to keep a watchful eye on fuel pumps for ethanol content.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:54 AM

W164
Originally Posted by chassis
Welcome! Please post a photo of the W164.

What engine number do you have? If you post your VIN, we can help with this.

Have a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M272_engine

The above does not mention cylinder defects, but gives you a place to start from for additional research.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...l-scoring.html

The above mentions wrist pins and rod bearings. Not sure if this is your situation. The photos you post look like detonation or erosion happening during combustion. The reason I say this is because of the dotted appearance and location near TDC.

How long have you owned this vehicle? What is its history in terms of maintenance and fuel usage? Do you use ethanol fuels? Are you in a region (for example the midwest/breadbasket of the US) where ethanol fuels are widely available?

I live in Indiana, surrounded by corn fields and corn processing facilities. This means, unfortunately, that the local economy is partially benefited by ethanol fuel sales. I need to keep a watchful eye on fuel pumps for ethanol content.
Thank you for your time.

4JGBB86E76A045021 but I bet this is not the engine that was from factory and I don’t know exact number of the new one. All I know that I also have balance shaft failure so this is quite old engine

I looked into cylinders for scoring but none of them are scored, only this strange erosion. I have w164 for 8 months and I don’t know it history at all. I’m trying to restore it to original state. I’m using premium unleaded.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Thanks. The engine is original from the factory, or not? Hard to say what you have, if it is not the original engine. What other history are you aware of?
Old 08-10-2019, 11:31 PM

W164
I think it was rebuild because cylinder walls look darker and has deeper honing than alusil.
​​​​​​​