Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19's Carlsson....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19's Carlsson....HELP!!!

Help, please...I have posted this problem on another forum, the guys were all very nice and helpful, but no solution was found...I have a set of Carlsson 19's on my 2000 W220 S500, the car vibrates when it is running between 110 and 125 km/h...does anybody has a similar problem. The wheels are balanced already. My dealer told me that some of the S class with AMG package (18's) also experience the same problem, and they have no idea what went wrong...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Sometimes a vibration can be caused by improperly torqued wheel lug nuts.

I would jack the car up, remove each wheel, and re-torque them with a manual torque wrench to 90ft/lbs in the proper star pattern.

While the wheels are off the car, clean the inside of the wheel. Sometimes dirt collects inside the wheel and throws off the balance.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Also, if you've locked up your wheel lately or your tire has uneven wear, then that can casue some vibration as well....

Or with 19's, it's easy to bend them when you hit a pothole. Look for bends as well.

P.S VRUS, that is a sick car!!!! I love it!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by MBAMG
Help, please...I have posted this problem on another forum, the guys were all very nice and helpful, but no solution was found...I have a set of Carlsson 19's on my 2000 W220 S500, the car vibrates when it is running between 110 and 125 km/h...does anybody has a similar problem. The wheels are balanced already. My dealer told me that some of the S class with AMG package (18's) also experience the same problem, and they have no idea what went wrong...
Which Carlssons? Did they always vibrate? If they are 1/6, are the spacers and hubcentric adapters in place?

-s-
Old 08-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanx for the inputs guys I just talked to the guy who installed the wheels for me, and he told me the lug nuts were properly torqued. Scorchie, is there a problem with the 1/6's? Why do you mention this style only? I have the hubcentric rings installed, but no spacers (used to have spacers at the back, but the tires keep rubbing the inside of my fender). All four of the rims are ET40 (which should fit my W220 perfectly according to Carlsson).
Old 08-09-2004, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanx for the inputs guys I just talked to the guy who installed the wheels for me, and he told me the lug nuts were properly torqued. Scorchie, is there a problem with the 1/6's? Why do you mention this style only? I have the hubcentric rings installed, but no spacers (used to have spacers at the back, but the tires keep rubbing the inside of my fender). All four of the rims are ET40 (which should fit my W220 perfectly according to Carlsson).
Hmm, so you must be running non-staggered 18x8.5" ET40 all around? Yeah, the spacers are intended for the 18x10" ET45, or if using the 8.5" on a different body style.

I was just checking, because the spacers are hubcentric rings in addition to being spacers (they are dual function), and if you remove those spacers, you have to install ADDITIONAL hubcentric rings (on the rear).

You see what I am saying? You need EITHER spacers, or hubcentric rings... so if you remove spacers, you need to add hubcentric rings.

-s-
Old 08-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Yup, I am running 8.5J all around, and just like you said, I had to take out the spacers at the back in put in hubcentric rings...I know that might be a big no no for some of the guys (performance craving guys would go with staggered setup, but I am too cheap for that :p )...Anyways, I really admire your knowledge on these vehicles Scorchie I am going to the dealership this Sataurday, hope they find a solution to the problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup, I am running 8.5J all around, and just like you said, I had to take out the spacers at the back in put in hubcentric rings...I know that might be a big no no for some of the guys (performance craving guys would go with staggered setup, but I am too cheap for that :p )...Anyways, I really admire your knowledge on these vehicles Scorchie I am going to the dealership this Sataurday, hope they find a solution to the problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
Good luck! It seems you've looked at a lot of the problems, and the other members suggested the dirt inside the wheel, and the possibly bent rim (you may want to try rotating tires to see if it has an effect on the problem).

Finally, you may want to find a place that can do the balancing with the tire under load. This may find anomalies in the tire surface or out of round conditions.

-s-