Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair Shop Stumped - Anti Theft Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Repair Shop Stumped - Anti Theft Mode

Help! I literally have 99 issues 😭😩
I recently had the brake pads changed on my 2016 GL450. They said that the brake pad sensor was broken so they removed it. Everything worked fine after this except the service brakes light was on.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I take it in for a standard oil change. After it was completed the car would not start. Dash lights came on but car would not crank. Anti-Theft Activated - Service Required was on the screen and when they ran the codes it said “Vehicle not in Park”

The shop kept the car for 3 days all the while they plugged and unplugged everything, checked the modules, changed the key batteries etc etc. They finally gave up and asked us to tow it somewhere else which we did.

It is now at a shop that specializes in foreign cars. The screen is not coming on and the computer is not communicating at all so there are no codes. They have had it for two days and said they are stumped.

The only other detail is that there was a spare key to my friends Benzz in the vehicle which could have been used at some point during the fiasco to try to start it but i am not sure. It has since been placed in the glovebox.

Any ideas on why it won’t start?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:50 PM

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Bring it to me on the SW side of Houston. Send me PM for details.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
No comms and no crank sounds like a CAN problem, take it to MB.