Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Socal Mechanics???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 clk430
Socal Mechanics???

Anyone want to help assist me with the installation of my new brakes. Never done this before so i dont want to mess up anything as important as brakes.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 737 Likes on 718 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
u can try evosport in huntington beach or local midas shop.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM

2003 Brilliant Silver C230 Sedan
Wicket Street Garage

hey wasup...i met you at the socal meet last weekend....sick clk man!

the shop i go to is called Wicket Street Garage in Garden Grove. i know the owners Pat and Kevin...and they do great work. i would just give them a call and ask them how much it would cost to install your brakes...and then maybe try and call around to compare prices. if you paid in cash you can probably get a better deal (or you can try mentioning that John referred you, but i don't know if that'll get you any discount ).... but regardless i believe their prices are pretty competitive. i recently had my shocks and springs installed by them for $150.

WICKED STREET GARAGE
11711 Westminster Ave. #3A
phone: 714.590.9289
www.wicketstgarage.com
email: wickedgarage@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-24-2004, 07:34 PM

99 clk430
Well the thing is i like working on cars. This is something i would like to learn to do. Not just drop it off at a shop and get it done. Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 PM

2003 Brilliant Silver C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by slowsupraTT
Well the thing is i like working on cars. This is something i would like to learn to do. Not just drop it off at a shop and get it done. Thanks
ah i see....well sorry...but i don't really know anyone on the board that performs their own maintenance. good luck.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Brakes?

By brakes....do you mean pads? My discipline is computers but my joy is mechanics. I've done many brakes (pads and shoes) in my lifetime. Do you have tools? Air compressor? Garage? Willingness to get dirty? I've never done your model car but it fits in the generic category.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:00 PM

99 clk430
Well i got a big brake kit. i'll be installing new brake calipers and rotors. I have step by step instructions from stoptech. I have tools and a compressor and am willing to get dirty. I dont have air tools. The only tool i dont have that i need is a torque wrench with a 10-80ftlbs adjustment.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
although we would be happy to do it for you, if you have tools and a compressor, spend your money on a good torque wrench and try it yourself. The install is not too bad if you are ready to get dirty. And having a good torque wrench is a great addition to anyone's tools.

Also, make sure NOW that you have any needed spacers and lugs so you don't make your car un-driveable.

Thanks

Brad
Old 08-25-2004, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Help...

I've done calipers and rotors etc. but never installed a big brake kit...so it would be the blind leading the blind. Although if it were my car I wouldn't hesitate to do it, especially with instructions. It should all be straightforward and simple. Bleeding the brakes is VERY important so make sure you have the necessary tubes, or even better, a brake bleeder.
Otoupalik is right, invest in a good torque wrench (one that
'clicks' when you reach the pressure, not one with a pointer) you'll use it more as time goes. You should also torque your wheels....85 ft/lbs??
Old 08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by mleskovar
I've done calipers and rotors etc. but never installed a big brake kit...so it would be the blind leading the blind. Although if it were my car I wouldn't hesitate to do it, especially with instructions. It should all be straightforward and simple. Bleeding the brakes is VERY important so make sure you have the necessary tubes, or even better, a brake bleeder.
Otoupalik is right, invest in a good torque wrench (one that
'clicks' when you reach the pressure, not one with a pointer) you'll use it more as time goes. You should also torque your wheels....85 ft/lbs??
yep on all accounts.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:52 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Doing your own repairs..

Originally Posted by JW230K
ah i see....well sorry...but i don't really know anyone on the board that performs their own maintenance. good luck.
Where I live people don't work on their cars either. When I was doing a brake job on my MB, my new neighbor walked over and said to me "Are the people who own this house around?"

There are a few strange people who enjoy woking on their own vehicles.