Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do “CODES” last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
How long do “CODES” last?

I am having issues with a 2022 S580. For example, the emergency braking system initiated a panic stop, right in the middle of a wide open highway, with three lanes in either direction and no other vehicle within 100’ of me. Clear sunny day, not windy, no leaves or debris blowing around. I was looking straight ahead, no animals or birds crossed my path. Out of nowhere, the car jams on the brakes, warning lights & sounds go off, seatbelt tightens, car stops and it scared me to death!

I took the car into the dealer and they said “no code.” Questions:

1. Would something like this event generate a “code?”

2. If yes, how long would such a code remain in the vehicle?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,261 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I am having issues with a 2022 S580. For example, the emergency braking system initiated a panic stop, right in the middle of a wide open highway, with three lanes in either direction and no other vehicle within 100’ of me. Clear sunny day, not windy, no leaves or debris blowing around. I was looking straight ahead, no animals or birds crossed my path. Out of nowhere, the car jams on the brakes, warning lights & sounds go off, seatbelt tightens, car stops and it scared me to death!

I took the car into the dealer and they said “no code.” Questions:

1. Would something like this event generate a “code?”

2. If yes, how long would such a code remain in the vehicle?

Thanks!
> To answer you: fault codes are logged and archived. They do NOT evaporate out of memory.

We have to believe what you were told: no code. This means the fault condition was triggered by a transient glitch.

No code does not mean no problem. It just means the system disfunctioned to a degree that normal processing was interupted.

> How to fix unknown faults??
That's when science turns into an art. You use your intuition by testing a prioritized list of suspect modules.
  • Check the ESP data
  • Check front radars data
  • Monitor car voltage while driving
  • Make sure batteries are healthy enough
  • Disable the faulty service through cluster menu
  • Scrutinize ESP peripheral modules

> Glitches are hard to catch momentary conditions. Systems under low voltage conditions get more disrupted by electrical noises - It just happens these cars are loaded with dozens of super noisy devices such as: multispark coils, PWM Injectors, PWM Fans,...

Paying to get endless work done with open wallet can get expensive.
🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-08-2022 at 04:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
biker349 (10-08-2022), Streamliner (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
> …………….Paying to get endless work done with open wallet can get expensive.🤞
Thank you for your very thorough response. My car is only about six months old with under 5,000 miles, so the warranty is in full force and I won’t be opening my wallet for anything. That said, if the car can initiate a panic stop for no apparent reason and no code is generated, that has me very concerned. If this was your car, how would you proceed?
Old 10-08-2022, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

low mileage warranty struggle...

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Thank you for your very thorough response. My car is only about six months old with under 5,000 miles, so the warranty is in full force and I won’t be opening my wallet for anything.
That said, if the car can initiate a panic stop for no apparent reason and no code is generated, that has me very concerned. If this was your car, how would you proceed?
Good for you. I think you prime target is to get this fixed before warranty expires. The shop on the other end aims at managing your car until it's out of warranty - Two distinct goals!

Q: How to get dealer to work on warranty claim without a damage code ?

Victory fix may not be easy because dealer has no incentive to quickly fix your troubled car. They need warranty codes to eventually invoice real work.

You have to document every instance with a shop visit to show this nightmare is not a pipe dream.

The end goal is to get the dealer to involve the Factory support engineers by opening an investigation case in Germany.

Involving MBUSA in this case I believe is next to useless but having a case there with MBUSA will help you sit down with the dealer Service Mgr once you have a paper trail established.

Even if you are able to show "shop-foreman" how to reproduce this problem, that won't do you much good: No code > no work > no fix.

The best way to brake this structured chaos is to locate an applicable TSB with research to find the precious code! Figuring technically what the problem is will do exactly nothing without a warranty work code. MB doesn't really need to be explained how their multilayer disruption works.
​​​​​​
Be patient and committed.
🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-08-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Streamliner (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Good for you. I think you prime target is to get this fixed before warranty expires. The shop on the other end aims at managing your car until it's out of warranty - Two distinct goals!

Q: How to get dealer to work on warranty claim without a damage code ?

Victory fix may not be easy because dealer has no incentive to quickly fix your troubled car. They need warranty codes to eventually invoice real work.

You have to document every instance with a shop visit to show this nightmare is not a pipe dream.

The end goal is to get the dealer to involve the Factory support engineers by opening an investigation case in Germany.

Involving MBUSA in this case I believe is next to useless but having a case there with MBUSA will help you sit down with the dealer Service Mgr once you have a paper trail established.

Even if you are able to show "shop-foreman" how to reproduce this problem, that won't do you much good: No code > no work > no fix.

The best way to brake this structured struggle is to locate an applicable TSB by doing research. This get you the precious code!

Be patient and committed.
🤞
Again, thank you.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pls keep us posted with progress
🤞
Old 10-15-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 (w204)
Wow! Just read your post. Seems like too much technology might not be so great! Maybe if the dealership gives you a hard time ask them who is going to pay for your injury if it happens again! Imagine when all is electric. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2022, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 976 Likes on 759 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If you do not yet have a high-quality front and rear dash cam installed, do so. Video always helps...
Streamliner (10-16-2022)