Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' S500 dead throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' S500 68' 280SE
98' S500 dead throttle

Hey guys, im having an issue with the throttle body not responding at all to the gas pedal.. this happened after i accidentally ran the car out of fuel idling and consequently killed the battery.. i tried disconnecting battery and discharging system by touch cables together but no help, also tried throttle reset procedure still nothing.. anyone had this happen? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,324 Likes on 2,210 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Rebooted to no better...

Originally Posted by Mitster85
Hey guys, im having an issue with the throttle body not responding at all to the gas pedal.. this happened after i accidentally ran the car out of fuel idling and consequently killed the battery.. i tried disconnecting battery and discharging system by touch cables together but no help, also tried throttle reset procedure still nothing.. anyone had this happen? Thanks.
Okay, pls don't mind my ignorance when I say scan you OBDII port.

I presume you have a drive-by-wire throttle body, correct? Does this engine still start?

The ECU is the module in charge of the TB, IT IS EXTREMELY WELL MONITORED with dual reverse circuits.

I think you may be facing nothing but an old fashioned LIMP MODE. You car knows it is currently dangerous to be driven. It wants you to be aware of that by refusing to perform as it used to.

Your problem may be with the gas pedal just as well as the TB.
It may cost $3k to fix or 50¢. A local expert shop may help rush you back on the road.