Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze questions

Is there a certain kind of antifreeze I should use for my Mereceds or is any kind ok and also there is some antifreeze in the car now but it is in need of a refill does it amtter what kind I buy, meaning can I mix what is in there now with a new kind?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Yes, it does matter. The correct type should be listed in your manual. If you do not know whats in there now I would start from scratch by draining, flushing and refilling. Should you nbot have a manual ask your MB Dealer for the correct type.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks

how do you drain and flush the antifreeze?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
questions....

what yr/model - how many total miles - how many miles since last coolant change - current type of coolant (if you can tell...orange is extended life, green is regular, blue is factory fill)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

hey

The car is a 92 300D Benz with 111,000 miles on it.
Not sure how many miles since the last antifreeze change, my cosuin who had it for 6,000 miles says he never changed it so atleast over 7,000 miles since the last... how often should it be changed?

Does it need to be done by the dealer (because I hate going to the dealer already).

The anti-freeze looks clear to me.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Any competent shop should be able to change out the antifreeze. It's roughly a two-hour job for a DIYer such as myself.

What color is your antifreeze now? It should be amber-colored. It should be changed every 2-3 years. You should probably change it now (and other fluids) so you have a reference point for future maintenance.

Whether YOU can do it depends on your expertise and comfort level when it comes to working on cars. If you can change a thermostat, I'd say you are able to flush and fill the cooling system.

This is the method I use to replace coolant for every car I own:

- Remove thermostat, reinstall thermostat housing and hoses.

- Disconnect upper radiator hose at radiator.

- Open radiator drainkock (and on MB engines, the block drains).

- Drain coolant, dispose of properly.

- Siphon overflow tank.

- Run water through the cooling system with the garden hose through the upper radiator hose, until water comes out clear. Flush out overflow tank.

- Drain as much water from the cooling system as possible.

- Reinstall thermostat, button everything back up.

- Find the specified cooling system capacity for your vehicle. Fill 50% of the capacity with pure antifreeze. Top the rest off with distilled or demineralized water.

- Keep topping off the coolant after every warmup/cooldown cycle until the system can take no more.

- You're done!

There are many more fine points to performing this procedure, but the steps above should get you through a quality shadetree flush & fill.

Only Zerex G 05 or dealer-supplied antifreeze should be used. Antifreeze is attractive and poisonous to household pets. Keep them indoors until you finish this job and wash away any spillage.

Here's a link to MB Approved Service Products

Last edited by Kestas; 10-26-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey

I took the car to a mechanic who has been working on all kinds of cars and mercedes for about 8-10 years. He checked all the fluids and changed the oil and filter for 35 dollars. Is that good, I always thought the oil change and filter were more expensive?
He changed the filter (part #1289) and put 7 Quarts of 10W-50 oil (not sure what brand)... all the parts price was $4.20 is that about right? Just want to make sure they did a good job because I just bought the car and need to find a good mechanic
-- Also about how long does an oil and filter change take, it took them a total of 50 minutes... is that about right?

He said all the fluids were ok, but should I go ahead and have them drain the antifreeze and fill up with a certain kind??

Thanks
Lee

FYI - I live in St. Louis MO, gets kind of cold here!

Last edited by lokobreed; 10-26-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I'd say you can't get a better price on the oil change than what you got. It would cost at least $16 just for parts to do the oil change yourself.

You can't tell the age of the antifreeze just by looking at it. The same goes for brake fluid, which per specification should be changed every two years.

Don't use the green stuff when servicing the cooling system. Have the shop use Zerex G 05. Buy two gallons and present it to the mechanic when you want the service done.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Correct

Yea I know that price is so low that I am wondering if they really did change the filter!?!

"You can't tell the age of the antifreeze just by looking at it. The same goes for brake fluid, which per specification should be changed every two years."

-- Would I be best to have them drain the antifreeze and put the kind in you suggested? I know mercedes also sells a brand or is this brand better... remember my car is a diesel, not sure if that matters
Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
MB antifreeze and Zerex G 05 are essentially the same thing, Zerex is cheaper. Doesn't matter if it's used on a diesel engine.

It would also be good to change out the fluids just so you have a starting point for future maintenance. After all, you don't know if the fluids have been recently changed or if they're four or more years old. I (and others) do this with every used car I buy. More often than not, used cars are neglected with respect to maintenance than properly maintained, unless you actually know and trust the previous owner.

If the oil looks clean, then you're okay. 10W-50 is an odd grade of oil per my tastes -- too wide of a spread. Consensus among the MB diesel crowd is they typically use Rotella 15W-40 oil, perhaps a lighter grade during the cold winter months.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:41 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I see you mentioned Castrol synthetic 10W-50 oil was used. Seven quarts of that should be roughly $28. Something doesn't add up here. It's good oil though.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

sorry

I dont know if it was castrol or what it was.... they didnt say or put a sticker in the window or anything...

I think im going to take it to another mechanic and have him change the oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid...
Ill ask him to save the old filter so I know mine was changed.

What type of oil you think I should use?
What type of antifreeze you think I should use?
What type of brake fluid should I use?

-- again my car is a 92 300 D Diesel

-- Would the mechanic let me purchase the antifreeze and oil so I know Im getting the right stuff or should I just tell them the type I want put in?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:07 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
If you have clean oil in the crankcase, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Use Zerex G 05 antifreeze or buy it from the dealer.

Any brake fluid that meets DOT 4 requirements should be okay.

Flushing out the ps fluid is always a good idea. I use 30,000 mile intervals or anytime the fluid looks dark. Use fluid specially made for power steering as opposed to Dexron atf.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Almost a Member!

k

So u dont recommend getting the oil re-changed? Its going to be cold winter here soon... I mean what if they did not change the oil filter?

Also am I able to purchase the antifreeze/oil and give to them to put in?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
This depends on your mechanic. Some mechanics really don't like it when you supply them parts or fluids for two reasons. One is that they can't guarantee their work. It's a sticky situation when something goes wrong related to the service where you provided the fluid. The other - and probably more important one - is that they lose the markup on parts and fluids that they provide. Try discussing this with your mechanic beforehand with the information from this web site.

Check your oil. Is it clear or is it black? This should tell you whether the oil needs to be changed.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

hey

My oil is black but shouldnt it always be black, espceially since mines a diesel?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:19 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I don't have experience with diesels, nor how fast the oil turns black. How many miles since your service? Perhaps someone else can chime in with their opinion.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:04 PM

Oil Change

I own a 91 300D 2.5 turbo and yes your oil even after and oil change will appear to be black.........very normal. I believe what might have taken place during your oil change was on your bill they broke down the charges incorrectly. 35.00 dollars for and oil change is about right at most shops. You seem like you really care about your car and that's a good thing. Whatever you do keep in mind that going to the dealer will cost you big. I would try to find and independent shop that knows your car and let them work with it. You will save hundreds........believe me.