Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window sunshade broken... 😡🤬😡

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550 4-Matic
Rear window sunshade broken... 😡🤬😡

So, one of the things I noticed when I test drove my car before I bought it is that the rear window sun shade does not work. When I hit the button on the dashboard I can see the little attachment points come up on both pillars but obviously the sun shade doesn't come up with them. The other day I had an opportunity to take a closer look and the little mounts that actually attached to sun shade to the lifting rods on the sides are broken. I contacted my local Mercedes-Benz dealer just to find out that the only way to correct this issue is to buy an entire rear sun shade to the tune of $1,000. My question is, does anybody happen to have a solution to this particular little problem? I wonder if I remove these if they could be 3D printed that way they can be replaced if they were ever broken. Has anybody else found a better solution to this problem? I'm sure my car is not the only one that suffers with this particular ailment. I have enclosed a few pictures below for reference. Any help and assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
That absolutely sucks! Have you looked on eBay?
Old 09-22-2023, 09:36 AM

2010 E550 4-Matic
Originally Posted by JettaRed
That absolutely sucks! Have you looked on eBay?
I did look on eBay and all over. Last night I had a chance to take the trim apart. Those little clips are actually part of the rails that push and pull the shade up and down. No replacements are available and 3D printing them is also out... I am in the process of trying to super glue them back together.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 glk350
I just walked out to my car and have the same issue. 2011 E-500

Originally Posted by E550AM
So, one of the things I noticed when I test drove my car before I bought it is that the rear window sun shade does not work. When I hit the button on the dashboard I can see the little attachment points come up on both pillars but obviously the sun shade doesn't come up with them. The other day I had an opportunity to take a closer look and the little mounts that actually attached to sun shade to the lifting rods on the sides are broken. I contacted my local Mercedes-Benz dealer just to find out that the only way to correct this issue is to buy an entire rear sun shade to the tune of $1,000. My question is, does anybody happen to have a solution to this particular little problem? I wonder if I remove these if they could be 3D printed that way they can be replaced if they were ever broken. Has anybody else found a better solution to this problem? I'm sure my car is not the only one that suffers with this particular ailment. I have enclosed a few pictures below for reference. Any help and assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Did you ever find a solution for this without buying the entire shade?
Old 10-17-2023, 06:39 PM

2010 E550 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Matt Hulsey
Did you ever find a solution for this without buying the entire shade?
Regrettably, I did not. Those particular mounts appear to be part of the actual rails which are not replaceable through any means that I have been able to find. They are available of course for other models but not for ours. And, naturally those other models are not compatible due to design differences. I tried gluing mine but it did not work. As of right now, I have abandoned the quest. My car does have 5% window tint all around so it is not the end of the world that my back shade does not work. I simply do not like having things on my car that do not function as intended. If anybody does happen to come across a solution, please do share it.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,422 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
rear window shade

these cars like to eat parts
The window shade gets hot behind the glass window - I did lubed mine when I was scouting for the rear deck amplifier.

Many years later all light grease has evaporated leaving brital parts to rub until they brake.

Similarly the trunk pull mechanism is a fun project to lub so it won't fail on you. It has two separate modules: the latch release and the cable puller.