Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Change and Flush (W210)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 Sedan
Coolant Change and Flush (W210)

My 98 E320 has 116,000 miles and the coolant has never been changed. Should I consider this and if so, can I do this myself or are there MB tools to use? Does the system always need a flush and is there anything else I should consider doing at the same time.

Many thanks to all that respond.

John.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Absolutely required maintenance:

Every 3 years - drain & replace coolant (only use MB spec - not the green stuff). The corrosion resulting from old coolant can damage the heater core and the heater valves - (not cheap to repair in MB) as well as attacking the head gaskets when the coolant becomes acidic. The sludge that accumulates can plug up the radiatior core or coolant jackets in the block & heads as well.

Every 2 years - flush and replace brake fluid (brake fluid absorbs moisture and will cause corrosion in brake system parts, such as the ABS)

Since you have kept your W210 this long, I imagine you would like to have things last as long as possible.

Deferred maintenance will cost you lots of $$$ if you don't keep this stuff up, just about as important as oil changes.

For the coolant change (if you're a DYI'er) is probably drain the old stuff, fill with water, run engine until warm, drain (do this a couple of times until what comes out is clear) and then refill with the 50/50 coolant/water mixture.

For the brake fluid, I'd recommend having a shop do that, brake fluid can ruin your paint if you splattered or dripped any without noticing it.

Also, a good idea to have the synthetic MB ATF changed (have pan dropped and replace filter and gasket) and have the pan inspected to make sure no excess clutch material is evident.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Some of the information you need was discussed a couple of days ago inthis thread.

Hal gave some good advice. He - and the rest of us - wonder what other maintenance may need to be done to your vehicle.