Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Reset - Cold Reboot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,527 Likes on 2,349 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Forward fondations...

Originally Posted by sarcophagus
yes, correct ... the problem with ABS started some time around mid-summer and the car drives and handles just fine.

if the ml320 was my car, no ESP/BAS/ABS would be of any concern to me.. i learnt to drive on a 4sp manual, RWD farm truck with no ABS and none of my current cars have any ABS or traction control whatsoever; however, this being my wife's car who brakes during icy blizzards the same way as on a nice sunny summer day and expect the same response and handling from the car, the ABS fully functioning is an absolute must on this car since we have already got our first 3" of snow and ice on roads and i worry i'll get a phone call that the car is in the ditch.

my current diagnostics tool, innova 3100RS, does not delete ABS codes and that is the main reason why i started this thread since my original plan was to delete the codes first and see which one pops at me first...
i am now looking into purchasing iCarsoft MB V3.0 or LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ which @JettaRed recommended and i am in contact with the tech support to make sure it works as advertised... the reason why i am so **** about making sure it works as advertised is that the innova 3100rs was advertised as a tool which deletes ABS codes but later i found out the 3100rs fakes deleting these codes instead of actually getting rid of them...

what is "voltage glitchings?.. i have never come across such term or diagnosis..
pick up a "Launch Creader Elite BENZ" from Amazon about $120 USD and you will have a perfect tool.

--1> Now about your ABS/ESP Module we've barely even started to troubleshoot... it's built with pressed pins that develop marginal contacts and glitch the snots out of internal components such as undersized capacitors.
Failure comes in gradually so right now you may get lucky with a scanner reset until you can swap the electronic slice in a 10mn easy job - NO brake hose nightmare job necessary.

--2> It may also very well be the GND'ing of this module has gone marginal. That should be cleaned before advanced therapeutic are engaged.

>> Anyway don't get jumpy and burn yourself with the parts canon.
Let's troubleshoot first!

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-01-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,260 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
You may find this discussion interesting: https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/...e-brought.html

Apparently, the C1140-008 BEFORE 2002 means something other than after 2002. With yours being a 2001 model, the C1140 code means B34 (ESP brake pressure sensor) : Electrical fault.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
What that means is you have been chasing the wrong thing. I'm not sure iCarsoft or LAUNCH Creader would have given you the correct definition of your fault code, but the Innova scanner certainly did not. The image above is from DAS using the simulation mode.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are the steps for checking and diagnosing the problem (also from XENTRY/DAS). XENTRY and DAS are Mercedes diagnostic programs with DAS being for older vehicles and XENTRY for newer vehicles.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Each of those four steps takes you to a details page when double-clicking on them.

If you don't want to make the investment now to spend $600-$700 US on the XENTRY software, a C4 multiplexor, and a Windows laptop, you can buy a HDD or SSD with all the software loaded and run it in Simulation mode, just like I did for you.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 ML320
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Do keep in mind that no diagnostic tool will delete a code for a fault that has not been repaired, not even the Mercedes XENTRY system.
am i to understand that the scanner wont be able to clear all DTC's before i fix the ABS problem? in other words, my plan was to NOT to fix anything, delete all 14 DTC's listed in the first post and then watch for the first code that pops up to give me some direction which problem to focus on first...

i spent a fair bit of time with the innova 3100rs scanner technicians on the phone and they told me that their scanner will send the 'delete' command into an internal queue and then the ecu decides if it deletes the code based on the fix/no fix status... is that the case here too?

i am asking because i use ECMlink (http://www.dsmlink.com/) to tune my two dsm rides (https://www.dsmtuners.com/) and with the ECMlink software i get access to the entire ECU... if i install larger injectors, i can program how much fuel goes into them.. i can totally rewrite the original setup and program entirely new behaviour into the ecu...
Old 12-01-2023, 08:04 PM

2001 ML320
How does Prince Charming keep getting re-elected? But, just like our own numb-nut politicians, it takes a village to destroy a good thing.
prince charming trudeau, a.k.a. trudy, a.k.a. castreau, a member of klaus schwab's WEF team got elected and re-elected via rigged elections, courtesy of dominion machines...

the motto in any marxist paradise is "those who vote decide nothing and those who count votes decided everything"

and it certainly doesnt help that the lazy low IQ third world "diversity" whose citizenship was put on fast track always votes for free gibs flowing their way while the rest of canadians pay for their comfort... and if not, the hardly english speaking diversity already learnt the magic phrases to get what they want.. ' you racist' or 'you white supremacist'.. or "you enslaved my people.." and so on...

canada is heading for a third world status thanks to the influx of diversity... the saying 'bring third world - become third world' is certainly apropos

on the other hand, i read just this week that your liberal gov't want to give usa citizenship to 30 million illegals ... i promise you, if that happens and this diversity gets to vote, they will always vote for free gibs flowing their way and you paying for it whether you work two or three jobs to satisfy them.. if that's even possible
Old 12-01-2023, 08:18 PM

2001 ML320
You may find this discussion interesting: https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/...e-brought.html

Apparently, the C1140-008 BEFORE 2002 means something other than after 2002. With yours being a 2001 model, the C1140 code means B34 (ESP brake pressure sensor) : Electrical fault.
this^.is.gold..!!! i am going to get busy reading about it and searching for the electrical fault... thank you for digging that up for me...!!! i'd be chasing my own tail looking for ABS sensor fault... it also makes sense because i installed a new brake line and front caliper recently and perhaps i did not bleed the brakes in proper sequence... the brakes work but are a tiny bit softer than i remember them.. it also makes sense because most of the codes innova 3100rs reported flagged all abs sensors as faulty which is very unlikely to happen all at the same time... in any case, i will be getting one of the scanner you recommended just for the ml320... it's now 23 years old and the wife is hellbent on keeping it driving so...
Old 12-01-2023, 08:29 PM

2001 ML320
...... you can buy a HDD or SSD with all the software loaded and run it in Simulation mode, just like I did for you.
is there a particular place, brand or company where i can purchase this^ software? i gather i could input codes which the scanner read off the ecu, enter the codes into this software and i would get detailed diagnosis of the codes as being relevant for the 2001 ml320...?
Old 12-01-2023, 08:45 PM

2001 ML320
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
pick up a "Launch Creader Elite BENZ" from Amazon about $120 USD and you will have a perfect tool.

--1> Now about your ABS/ESP Module we've barely even started to troubleshoot... it's built with pressed pins that develop marginal contacts and glitch the snots out of internal components such as undersized capacitors.
Failure comes in gradually so right now you may get lucky with a scanner reset until you can swap the electronic slice in a 10mn easy job - NO brake hose nightmare job necessary.

--2> It may also very well be the GND'ing of this module has gone marginal. That should be cleaned before advanced therapeutic are engaged.

>> Anyway don't get jumpy and burn yourself with the parts canon.
Let's troubleshoot first!
yup, i am just in the process of getting a scanner which is intended specifically for benz... the generic scanner i have, innova 3100rs, is not very good for benz vehicles.. as i am just finding out...
also, ​​​​​​@JettaRed discovered that the codes i am dealing with " the C1140 code means B34 (ESP brake pressure sensor) : Electrical fault." ... please see above

the grounding and weak capacitors could also be an issue bc the present issue started in the summer as an intermittent problem that kept going away until it became permanent a few weeks ago.. the lights dont go away any more and the ABS doesnt work... we got about 3" of snow just now so i went out to see how the brakes work and they lock up immediately and the suv slides all over the place... it's the weekend and i will be checking things out with a multimeter in a cold garage
Old 12-01-2023, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is there a particular place, brand or company where i can purchase this^ software? i gather i could input codes which the scanner read off the ecu, enter the codes into this software and i would get detailed diagnosis of the codes as being relevant for the 2001 ml320...?
That is correct, however you would need to operate the software in simulation mode. It's not really intuitive, so it will take some learning. Here is one source. You want to make sure your get the OpenShell version that will work with the C4 multiplexer (one day). However, there are other places. You can check on AliExpress or just search for XENTRY software.

V2023.09 MB DOIP SD Connect C4/C5 Super Engineering Software with DTSmonaco V8.16.015 And Vediamo V5.01.01 (autonumen.com)

This picture is from StarFinder which is also included in the software kit. B34/1 and B34/2 should be the ESP brake pressure sensor.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More interesting discussions: https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/...r-circuit.html
Old 12-01-2023, 09:15 PM

2001 ML320
That is correct, however you would need to operate the software in simulation mode. It's not really intuitive, so it will take some learning. Here is one source. You want to make sure your get the OpenShell version that will work with the C4 multiplexer (one day). However, there are other places. You can check on AliExpress or just search for XENTRY software.

V2023.09 MB DOIP SD Connect C4/C5 Super Engineering Software with DTSmonaco V8.16.015 And Vediamo V5.01.01 (autonumen.com)

This picture is from StarFinder which is also included in the software kit. B34/1 and B34/2 should be the ESP brake pressure sensor.
thank you for locating the B34/1 sensor.. i wondered where i would find it ... now i know

i have looked at the link you sent me re DTS monaco... and it reminded me of software i purchased about 7yrs ago on ebay, it was called "Mercedes WIS/ASRA/EPC/SSL Dealer Service Repair Workshop Manual".. it was intended for windows so i loaded virtual machine on my linux workstation and ran it in simulation mode... is the link you sent me similar to what i purchased back then? i completely forgot i had it as i did not use it... it took up over 1GB of my hdd and i eventually de-install it bc i needed the space...

here's a link to what i purchased back then... is it the same idea?
https://tinyurl.com/4hr2pat7

now i just have to locate the manual^... if i can remember what USB stick i off-loaded it on.. smh
Old 12-01-2023, 09:31 PM

2001 ML320
this^ appears to be the same process that was outlined in the second vid you sent to me earlier except it was fuse #13 and #22 on the ml320... am i wrong? i wonder how 'justanswer' resolved the issue as the convo ended before solution was shown... i would imagine they proceeded to do the test i tried with checking changing voltage while turning the steering wheel..
... but imagine, the guy tried 3 steering angle sensors... are they not like around $500 each? i could not find one for the ml320 on ebay, amazone, rockauto, etc. but they were around $500 for sedans etc.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WIS is the workshop manual (necessary)
EPC is the electronic parts catalog (necessary)
ASRA is the job labor guide (optional)

The WIS and EPC are essential for fixing your car. XENTRY/DAS are for diagnosing problems and fixing electromechanical issues, much like a scan tool but only better. Starfinder is for locating parts on your car. Vediamo and DTS Monaco are for actually coding the ECU. You're halfway there with WIS and EPC.

The problem I have with running the software in a VM is I could never print out what I needed. However, the VM generally kept the software configured correctly so it would always work.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:53 PM

2001 ML320
WIS is the workshop manual (necessary)
EPC is the electronic parts catalog (necessary)
ASRA is the job labor guide (optional)

The WIS and EPC are essential for fixing your car. XENTRY/DAS are for diagnosing problems and fixing electromechanical issues, much like a scan tool but only better. Starfinder is for locating parts on your car. Vediamo and DTS Monaco are for actually coding the ECU. You're halfway there with WIS and EPC.

The problem I have with running the software in a VM is I could never print out what I needed. However, the VM generally kept the software configured correctly so it would always work.
yes, you're right.. thank you for reminding me what the WIS/EPC/... was... and thank you for clarifying what all the other acronyms are and what those modules are used for... i kept running into them on this site and never really understood what it was all about...

i installed the WIS/EPC/.. and never really used it because all the problems with the ml320 were of basic kind... we bought the ml320 around 2003-4 from a friend of ours who was moving back to ireland and in spite of the poor reputation these vehicles have, this car was very good to us... there were frequent issues with the car but nothing that could not be quickly isolated and fixed without a manual... plus this forum already documented issues that i ran into so it was no big deal to fix it; however, the current issue with ABS/BAS etc. is the first complex issue i am solving on this vehicle... and i think it's finally moving forward with the help i am getting here... thanks again!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:42 PM

2001 ML320

i searched up some info on how to test the B34 sensor and apparently it has something to do with proper min/max pressure measured in 'bars' etc. there are others but the relevant threads that came up are here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...blem-both.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...-problems.html

needless to say, i know for a fact that i did not bleed the brakes in the correct order after i put on a new brake line and caliper so that's where i am going to start my sleuthing tomorrow...

Old 12-02-2023, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right. The general rule of thumb is to bleed brakes starting at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. I say "general" because cars with SBC use a different method and pattern REQUIRING the use of XENTRY/DAS or a high-end ($$$) scanner, and it's all done electrically.

Sounds like we're getting close to solving your problem.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-02-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 05:01 PM

2001 ML320
Right. The general rule of thumb is to bleed brakes starting at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. I say "general" because cars with SBC use a different method and pattern REQUIRING the use of XENTRY/DAS or a high-end ($$$) scanner, and it's all done electrically.

Sounds like we're getting close to solving your problem.
i bled the brakes and drove around in hopes that air in the brake lines was the problem (even though i did not see any air pockets come out of the brake lines) and the ecu clears the codes ... but no such luck;
so i proceeded to finding out how to test the B34 sensor.
i found the vid below where the mechanic unplugged the wire to the sensor, let the ecu register B34 (electrical fault) and then used iCarsoft scanner to diagnose the fault... his suggestion was to clean contacts, corrosion, etc. implying that that will fix the problem;

unfortunately, my problem with the b34 was not fixed even though i cleaned the contacts thoroughly...
i tried to search up posts which dealt with testing the actual B34 sensor but people typically just went ahead and replaced the sensor but the B34 fault persisted even though it was a new sensor... in one case i read, the B34 fault went away once an ABS sensor was replaced.

in any case, i will continue hunt for posts which deal with testing the B34 sensor and report back with my findings...
Old 12-04-2023, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To be clear, did you replace the B34 sensors? Or the ABS sensors?
Old 12-04-2023, 05:12 PM

2001 ML320
Y Do keep in mind that no diagnostic tool will delete a code for a fault that has not been repaired, not even the Mercedes XENTRY system.
i sent a msg to @BenzNinja and asked him if he knew a scanner which would actually erase all 14 fault codes before the source of the faults is fixed and he recommended this scanner:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/10050...apt=4itemAdapt

i asked him for confirmation that this^ scanner will actually erase the codes, unlike xentry, and he confirmed that it will clear and reset the ecu completely, as if it was a new ecu... so i will act on his recommendation and see how it works
Old 12-04-2023, 05:24 PM

2001 ML320
To be clear, did you replace the B34 sensors? Or the ABS sensors?
no, i have not replaced the B34 or any other sensor.. all i did was clean contacts and plugged the B34 connector back in... it did not make any difference in my case as far as the codes went.

i was just making a comment that users in other posts went ahead and replaced the B34 without testing them first with a new B34 but the new sensor did not clear the B34 DTC so they continued tracing the problem and after they replaced one of the ABS sensors, the three orange lights went off and it also cleared the B34 electrical fault code at the same time... in other words, new B34 does not necessarily clears the B34 electrical fault
Old 12-04-2023, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i sent a msg to @BenzNinja and asked him if he knew a scanner which would actually erase all 14 fault codes before the source of the faults is fixed and he recommended this scanner:

i asked him for confirmation that this^ scanner will actually erase the codes, unlike xentry, and he confirmed that it will clear and reset the ecu completely, as if it was a new ecu... so i will act on his recommendation and see how it works
Did you order it with the software on the HDD? And do you have a laptop to install the hard drive on?
Old 12-04-2023, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,527 Likes on 2,349 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Expectations

Do you realize everyone is saying the same thing to you ?

You may have a hard time understanding that Live faults cause hard codes that won't erase regardless of module resets.... (this does not mean to ignore hard faults: don't drive.)

The C3 multiplexer is only a hardware interface for Xentry software. Not a miracle wand to delete issues like a boss.

You should focus on root cause analysis.... codes are only clues related to consequences - They'll disappear when modules are repaired and logic is satisfied.

BTW fault codes are usually a bit misleading. Not a direct repair list.

Brush on the repair process to make quicker progress. It is very similar for every car on the road.

Try to address the cause at once, not the consequences.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-04-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:12 PM

2001 ML320
You may have a hard time understanding that Live faults cause hard codes that won't erase regardless of module resets.... (this does not mean to ignore hard faults: don't drive.)

i must admit i do have a hard time understanding why it is so difficult to erase dtc's in this ecu and this is the reason:

i am used to deleting/erasing/modifying ECU data like a boss for a very very long time tuning the 4g63 platform... using this interface ( https://www.ecmtuning.com ) i can access and manipulate any address on the flash EPROM (EEPROM) chip which stores i/o data that control the 4g63 platform; in fact, using an assembler debugger, i can also read the bootstrap data on the ROM chip which is pre-programmed by mitsubishi, hence, if this can be done on the mitsubishi ecu, why can this not be done on the benz ecu?

i am not sure what the distinction between "hard" and "soft?" dtc's is ... to me, if a fault code is stored on the ecu EEPROM chip, they can all be safely deleted... it's the codes/data stored on the internal ROM chip that cannot be deleted, am i wrong?

The C3 multiplexer is only a hardware interface for Xentry software. Not a miracle wand to delete issues like a boss.
it's only now that i am learning what all the diagnostics components for the benz are... i have been owning and fixing the ml320 for the past 20 years without a scanner and i have not gone to a mechanic yet to have anything fixed unless it required a torch, welding machine or hoist.. i have purchased my first OBD scanner, the innova 3100rs, a few weeks ago just for this job and since it did not do what innova advertised, i took it back and got a refund already...

You should focus on root cause analysis.... codes are only clues related to consequences - They'll disappear when modules are repaired and logic is satisfied.
Try to address the cause at once, not the consequences.
i believe you totally misunderstood what is the goal i am trying to accomplish by deleting ALL codes.

i am dealing with 14 dtc's which flagged various components as faulty (see my first post in this thread):

1/ B34 sensor
2/ all 4 speed sensors
3/ stop lamp switch/brake switch
4/ fault in CAN communication (whatever that is)
5/ unknown fault
6/ steering angle sensor

i do believe one sensor/component failed and everything else is a cascading effect flagging one sensor after another as issue

my goal is to:
a/ park the car and erase ALL codes
b/ start the engine and watch which error code pops up first
c/ if no code pops up, move the car and watch which fault pops up as first and then
d/ begin with fixing sensor/component which the ecu flagged as the primary issue

unless you can look at the 14 dtc's i listed in the original/first post and you can tell exactly and with confidence what the problem is, how am i wrong in my logic to delete all codes first (or reset the ecu to its original state) and start tracking the problem by focusing on the very first issue the ecu flags??? would that not be a logical approach? if not, what is then the logical approach if i am dealing with 14 codes flagging 6 different areas as faults?

Last edited by sarcophagus; 12-05-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: syntax, def'n

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Reset - Cold Reboot