Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! Need to replace vibration dampener on a CLK320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Need to replace harmonic balancer on a CLK320

Hello everyone. I really need help. Does anyone know how to change the harmonic balancer on a clk 320? It seems that these one bolt in the middle that (allen type) I need to remote to take out the whole thing.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks in advace.
J

Last edited by QB320; 11-08-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you 1) have a super badass impact wrench, or 2) have the tool used to hold the balancer in place while you use a long breaker bar and a pipe, you won't get that bolt out.
I recommend the dealer on this one. The bolts are super tight, plus if the car has one, you will need to remove the fan from the water pump, which requires more special tools.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by QB320
Hello everyone. I really need help. Does anyone know how to change the harmonic balancer on a clk 320? It seems that these one bolt in the middle that (allen type) I need to remote to take out the whole thing.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks in advace.
J
Try The Mercedes Dealer...This is a KNOWN Problem...
They Should replace it at NO charge.. Parts and Labor!
Take a look on Mercedesshop.com...
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php3?t=63512
Old 11-08-2004, 08:05 PM

FYI: A failed harmonic balancer does not automatically guarantee a free repair. Many dealers have criteria that must be met for consideration of assistance. Good customers are often given benefit; walking in off the street and having no prior history, making demands will get you nowhere.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Dealer wouldn't do anything for me. No free replacement, no help with the labor, nothing!

I ended up doing it myself. Took about an hour. Spent $70 for the part from the dealer...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:23 PM

Harmonic balancers

hello,

mercedes obviously have a major problem with harmonic balancer's failing?

this failure can cause some major damage to your front end if it breaks loose, belts timing cover etc.

i can't believe the comment from "saturnstyl" saying that you have to be a good customer to get attention. this is another example of mercedes arrogance regarding their products and only adds fuel to the fire for the Lexus proponents. my experience with mercedes dealers is arrogant.

mercedes sales have dropped dramatically in the last 12 months due reliabilty issues, harnmonic balancers failures etc, the way to recoup is offer good service without the hassles, and cheaper replacement parts.

owner of three mercedes and love them

gavinbr

please see URL................ http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php3?t=63512
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it arrogance. Its business, plain and simple. If you do not spend money with mercedes, why should they do anything to help you when you are out of warranty?
Many people buy used mercedes from the used car lot or private owners, and are somehow under the impression that mercedes has a perpetual warranty. They don't come to the dealer for service, they don't buy repairs at the dealer, and *might* bring it in for diagnosis when all the independents have given up on it. Then something expensive happens. Their machine with thousands of moving parts has a breakdown.... Its a mercedes it should NEVER break, I am calling my lawyer! I talked to so and so and they said you would fix it for free.....

Again, the vehicle is sold with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. Once the warranty has expired the cost of repairs is the owners responsibility. I feel that the damage caused by harmonic balancer failure would be greatly reduced if people would simply pull over and turn the engine off when it starts making funny noises. One of the reasons independents make such a big stink over this issue is that replacing the oil pan is a pain in the butt. Nobody likes to do it. Its hard to make the seal properly and not leak. A lot of time and painstaking cleanliness is required. The job doesn't pay well at all. So if they can convince the owner to take it to the dealer and try to get a free repair, they saved themselves a lot of hassle for a job that just wasn't thier cup of tea. I see it all the time.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99E320
QB320
How did you finally get that balancer off?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
may I add a 4 yr/50000mile warranty that will cover anything????? Try taking your saturn in and *****ing about a discolored door panel or even a headlight bulb.. They'll send you straight to the parts counter.

Also, don't buy a Mercedes or any other high end car if you can't afford to MAINTAIN it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I encounter many clients that have no problem paying for $100 wiper blades if outside 12 months or 12000 miles.