Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W213 E220d (OM654) - P0299FA - Low Boost Pressure - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2024 | 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz E220
Unhappy W213 E220d (OM654) - P0299FA - Low Boost Pressure - Help Needed!

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help diagnosing a low boost pressure issue on my Mercedes E-Class W213 E220d (2.0L diesel, OM654 engine).

Symptoms:
  • The car is experiencing reduced power and performance and high fuel consumption.
  • The vehicle goes into limp mode if I'm going over 2000 rpm, and rarely does the engine management light come off if I'm going over 75-80 miles per hour.
Diagnosis:
  • We used an Autel diagnostic unit and found only one fault code: P0299FA - The boost pressure of turbocharger 1 is too low.
  • The turbo boost pressure sensor has been checked and appears to be functioning properly.
  • DPF differential pressure sensor: 165hPa when the engine is idle, and around 360hPa on full load.
We've already tried:
  • Checking the turbo boost pressure sensor (seems to be working fine)
Looking for advice on:
  • What other potential causes could be triggering the P0299FA code?
  • Are there any specific tests or checks we can perform to narrow down the issue?
  • Has anyone else encountered this code on their W213 E220d with the OM654 engine? If so, what was the solution?
Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We're eager to get this issue resolved and get the car back to performing at its best.

Additional information:
  • Mileage: 207.000 miles
  • Service history: full Mercedes-Benz service history
  • Modifications (if any): adblue delete
Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. If you have any questions or need further details, please don't hesitate to ask.

Tips:
  • Be polite and respectful in your tone.
  • Provide as much detail as possible about the symptoms, diagnosis, and troubleshooting steps you've already taken.
  • Attach any relevant screenshots or diagnostic reports, if possible.
  • Thank the community for their time and assistance.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-10-2024 | 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,820 Likes on 2,542 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
triggering the P0299FA

You have this issue pretty well cornered yet not solved. Go ahead and use Xentry to retrieve the code setting criteria to understand the true underlying conditions of this DTC.

The best part is you've resisted throwing aftermarket discount parts to troubleshoot this issue

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-10-2024 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2024 | 08:25 PM

Received 180 Likes on 152 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
For me, a gas engine, it generally means the wastegate is open. I'd be assuming your wastegate is vacuum operated? If so then I'm quite familiar with this.
If so, let me know and I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-13-2024 | 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S213 E220D 2017 (OM654)
I have exactly same issue with same engine, please update if you found solution! 🙏
Old 03-21-2024 | 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz E220
Originally Posted by binhtran96
I have exactly same issue with same engine, please update if you found solution! 🙏
The low pressure was caused by a blocked DPF in my situation. Now the turbocharger needs fixing
Old 03-21-2024 | 08:01 AM

S213 E220D 2017 (OM654)
Thanks for your information,
Had my car in the garage and they found out EGR pipe were broken and manifold gasket was leaked. EGR pipe broken made alot of fume from engine bay and damaged many small parts. A lot of works is going to be done, also they said Dpf filters is also much of soot.
P0299 is a nightmare because there's so many reason behind it to those who have same issue.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2024 | 02:48 PM

E class 2017
Hi all,
In order not to open a new thread and since the issue is with same type of car+ engine, I need to ask some advice for P0299 code as well. Whilst driving the car one day, I could see a loss of power and "check engine" light coming on. Took it to a friend for an Autel diagnosis and during a test drive it showed that boost values obtained were smaller than what they should be ( don't remember values). After deleting the error, it has never appeared again although loss of power was still happening.
After this, I have taken the car to a local independent Mercedes garage and following things have happened:
- smoke test : no leaks
- dpf test: don't have the actual values, but they stated it was ok
- after a Xentry scan , initial cause considered by them was the boost pressure sensor which has been replaced. They took it for a test drive and said car is now ok , but during my drive home the loss of power re-appeared and took car back to them . No check engine light on and when scanned again same dreaded code...
- after checking with Mercedes, they suspect the issue is the turbo which seems to have some soot traces on the catalytic converter heatshield ( see attached photos), coming from the variable geometry actuator shaft into the turbo housing. There seems to be a bit of play between the variable geometry actuator shaft and turbo, but don't know at which value this would be such a big issue. The actuator seems to work , as when I turn on and off the engine the lever position changes.

I am not really happy with this conclusion keeping in mind that the car is quite low mileage ( 47 k miles) and they quoted me £3200 for the job and worst thing- they are not guaranteeing 100% issue will be solved. I am now looking to buy a remanufactured turbo ( around £5-600 it seems), but since the doubt seed has been planted- could there be another issue causing this , since I don't want to spend around £1000 to replace a turbo for nothing?

Old 04-15-2024 | 09:26 PM

S213 E220D 2017 (OM654)
Originally Posted by Alin S
Hi all,
In order not to open a new thread and since the issue is with same type of car+ engine, I need to ask some advice for P0299 code as well. Whilst driving the car one day, I could see a loss of power and "check engine" light coming on. Took it to a friend for an Autel diagnosis and during a test drive it showed that boost values obtained were smaller than what they should be ( don't remember values). After deleting the error, it has never appeared again although loss of power was still happening.
After this, I have taken the car to a local independent Mercedes garage and following things have happened:
- after a Xentry scan , initial cause considered by them was the boost pressure sensor which has been replaced. They took it for a test drive and said car is now ok , but during my drive home the loss of power re-appeared and took car back to them . No check engine light on and when scanned again same dreaded code...
- after checking with Mercedes, they suspect the issue is the turbo which seems to have some soot traces on the catalytic converter heatshield ( see attached photos), coming from the variable geometry actuator shaft into the turbo housing. There seems to be a bit of play between the variable geometry actuator shaft and turbo, but don't know at which value this would be such a big issue. The actuator seems to work , as when I turn on and off the engine the lever position changes.

I am not really happy with this conclusion keeping in mind that the car is quite low mileage ( 47 k miles) and they quoted me £3200 for the job and worst thing- they are not guaranteeing 100% issue will be solved. I am now looking to buy a remanufactured turbo ( around £5-600 it seems), but since the doubt seed has been planted- could there be another issue causing this , since I don't want to spend around £1000 to replace a turbo for nothing?

This code P0299 is very tricky, it could be anything. My car got into limp mode, but I could still drive to my home another 200-300km. Then I left it at the garage for inspection.
First they checked and changed malfunction maf sensor and boost pressure sensor, check engine light went off after that but still the same loss of power when I took the car.
When I drove back to garage and they showed me that my car had smokes comes out from engine bay when we rev the car up. Garage have to remove turbo, dpf filters so they can go deeper inspection and found out the egr pipe was broken, and manifold gasket leak. Because of the broken egr pipe that blew alot of smoke damaging small parts surrounding it so it was a long list of parts to order and replaced. After all that costed me around 2000 EU and everything is good again.
Also they saw the engine air filter was dirty just less than 20.000km so we changed that too.
Sorry for my bad English, but I hope it could help! 😅

Old 09-17-2024 | 06:43 AM

Fixed ?

Originally Posted by Alin S
Hi all,

Have you fixed this?